HybridZ

How safe is my fuel cell on the street?

Guest 240Z_72

Guest 240Z_72

My '76 has a fuel cell in a steel box welded into my spare tire carrier. What can I do to make this thing safe to drive on the street? I keep having visions of me being covered in fuel if I ever crash. :cry:

Surely it's not even legal is it???

fuelcell.jpg

-Kurt

Couple of things you could do to help... I'd take more diamond plated steel and make a hinged lid that latches down for it, which would assist in stopping the splash effect. If you have a cage in the car you could get a few additional braces run back to the rear bumper shock points all the way back at the tail lites. Then you could run a large tube horizontally between the box and the tailight panel. As to the legality, depends on your state. I had something similar in my last Z, but had it mounted below the surface of the deck and had a trap door panel that made it external to the car. Nice, except fumes from filling the car up caused the exhaust to catch fire under and Surrounding the cell :shock::shock: ... Fortunately the car didn't light off and kill me in the process... :D

Mike

I had something similar in my last Z' date=' but had it mounted below the surface of the deck and had a trap door panel that made it external to the car. Nice, except fumes from filling the car up caused the exhaust to catch fire under and Surrounding the cell :shock::shock: ... Fortunately the car didn't light off and kill me in the process... :D

Mike[/quote']

Mike,

You seem to have a few "stories like this ? ? ? :D