HybridZ

LT1 Z32 LIVES!!!

Guest Your Car is Slow

Guest Your Car is Slow

Well...it rolled up to the local hangout tonight for its debut.....Fully functional running living and breathing LT1/4l60E in a 91 300zx

here are the pics.....

Danz1

Danz2

Danz3

Danz4

It really did sound amazing to hear this thing fire up (exhaust just dumps below the front wheels currently.....so unnatural to hear that sound from a 300z :D

This was the motivation I needed to step it up a notch in my 240Z8 project.

I was impressed :D

Guest Your Car is Slow

One thing I noticed.

There is PLENTY of room in this engine bay to fit an LT1....it has easily more room than any Fbody ive ever seen...and even comes close to matching Impala/Caprice space to work on stuff.

The only clearance issues exist at the front...with the radiator he has...there was very little room to put a lectric fan there..so its mounted as a pusher for the moment.

other than that..its gravy!

So who's car is this? From what I read it's not yours? Also I think it looks great but the engine bay could use a cleaning! :D There is a lot of room in there compared to my engine compartment.

Very sweet! :2thumbs::cheers::hail::rockon:

Guy

Guest Your Car is Slow

Car is here in Jax....owned by a buddy of mine. He basically accomplished all you see there...in less than 2 weeks :shock:

Also the best part...is he did this in a tiny garage in his apartment complex.

Ive told him about the site..and I know he has browsed some info here...but I dont think he gets online all that much and didnt register.

Still has a few bugs to work out (torque converter not working right when pressing on the brake, and its not shifting quite right)....but he is a helluva lot further along in 2 weeks than I am...and its on the road and running :D

Certainly the best mod to a NA 300zx ive ever seen :)

Guest 1point3liter

Whats up guys,

I'm his room mate and a long time friend so I figured I'd registed to give him props on the the swap.

I wanted to mention that Dan did all the fabrication and welding of the motor and trany mounts on the garage floor with a borrowed welder.

From when we picked up the motor in the back of the truck to the time he had it running was under three weeks. Actually he had it sitting in the the car the next night.

Anyway congrats Dan. So when's the turbo going on? ;)

Here's another pic from a couple weeks ago :D btw, thanks again Brian.

448220350.jpg

Sweet! - can he document the swap for us?

Man, I can see it now - Honey, my Eclipse GSX is ragged out. - I can get a 90-96 300ZX 2+2 cheap! (Then another swap begins).

(I need 4 seats - 2 in back for the kids).

Black is a great color for that v8 Z32!

Outstanding! Man, I have to know more! I was thinking about this last summer, but was going to use an LS1/T56 instead. I could not find anyone who had completed a V8 swap on a Z32. I was worried that the engine compartment might not be long enough, and it sounds like it is close with the comments made about the fan. I would like to see some pics of the engine/tranny mounts. More pics! Cool!

Danny

Guest Your Car is Slow

You have about 4 - 6" to spare at the front using the stock mounts (he didnt use anything from JTR like the setback plates or anything.

Im sure you could get more creative..and I believe the LS1 is a bit smaller of a motor....not small enough to matter...but still smaller nonetheless.

Guest Anonymous

Well I guess I'll claim the car. I'm getting everything worked out still. It has been a fun project and none the less interesting. I hope the was an interesting post and I hope to show some more pics when it is turbocharged. Thanks

Guest Anonymous

shock: I'm very impressed by your accomplishment and would love to do the same on my 1990 N/A. If you have the time any pointers, suggestions, or comments would be of great help. I really could use a HOW-TO-APPROACH.... Thanks :?:

Guest Anonymous

Honestly there is no way to really approach this project other than to make up your mind and do it. If you would like me to answer some questions I would be more than happy to. I really could not have got it all done without the help and incouragement of some new friends I have made along the way. Thanks guys...... Any questions you may have please feel free to ask. :)