HybridZ

WHAT IS A R190?

Guest jurven240z

Subaru I believe had R190s and R160s. Interchangable, I have doubts as to how easy it might be - as for gear ratios I would imagine there are at least 2 or 3. LSD, hmm dunno.

If there was only one gear ratio though, it would be a little odd, unless it was only placed in one particular vehicle.

Guest shuyun

The R190 was the Datsun Comp after market LSD. I have been told it uses the R180 mountings. I have a R190 in my 240z behinde my Ultra Close Ratio Tran with a Gear of (3.454)-3.55? I have not pulled it to look at the mountings plan to do the inspection when i put in the new bushings.

I had a guy from my local Z club telling me some Subies came with the R190, LSD to boot. I have checked EVERY Subie in the scrapyards more than once, and I've NEVER seen anything bigger than an R160 in the Subies. AWD just doesn't need the stoutness of an R190, and I don't believe any came with them. Even the wife's '98 Outback has an R160 LSD, tiny little thing...

The R190 was what Datsun Competition USA called the diff. that came on the PS30 ( Z432 ), PS30-SB ( Z432-R ), PGC10 ( Skyline GT-R ) and KPGC10 ( Skyline GT-R ). In Japan this was always known as the "R192".

I have no idea why Datsun Competition decided to call it the "R190" - but there you go.

Essentially its an R180 on steroids. It looks just about the same, but is bigger ( as its name implies ) but not as big as the R200.

Just like the R180, they were full of shims and spacers, and take an age to set up properly. This R200 was a massive leap forward in this respect.

As fitted to the Z432 and Z432-R, they came stock with an LSD and 4.44 gears. The PGC10 and KPGC10 Skylines usually had 3.9 gears.

The moustache bar on the 432 was different to that on the R180-equipped cars.

Parts for the R192 / "R190" are pretty expensive in Japan - especially the LSD units.

Alan T.