HybridZ

Whats shocks to run with coilovers/camberplates

Guest ae86drifter

Guest ae86drifter

i have 375 and 400lb springs GC coilovers and GC bolt in camber plates, i dunno what shocks to run, tokico illumina??? i heard those wear out quickly? whats shocks are you guys running, and how much did you have to section ot make them fit?

Guest zline
i have 375 and 400lb springs GC coilovers and GC bolt in camber plates, i dunno what shocks to run, tokico illumina??? i heard those wear out quickly? whats shocks are you guys running, and how much did you have to section ot make them fit?

WHAT THE HELL are you serious? 375/400lb springs? hahahahahhaa woah no way.. i didnt even know you could get those spring rates for a Z car...umm also, the GC coilovers COME with struts, none of them can hold taht stiff a spring though man...you should just go with 175f/200r...thats what i ran before the Z got sold and it was STIFF as hell...

Ae86drifter, you have these on a Z or an AE86?? Those are some serious "racing only" rates, and I'm hard pressed recommending anything to you for a street car. My question is "why?" Is this a track only car? Give us some more info.

Davy

Guest ae86drifter

i have a 73' 240z, i ordered ground control coilovers with some stiff springs. maybe i told the guy i ordered from on the phone i wanted 8kg front and 7kg rear springs, and 4 camber plates for a 240Z, the guy said cool and i paid. i have all the strut assemblies to stripped ready to be cut for short stroke (i did the EXACT same thing for my ae86 corolla GTS on the front coilovers) i just dont know what shock to run to accomidate such high spring rates? my plans for this 73' is to put an RB20DE with 3 DCOE sidedrift webers carbs. i want a G-machine for the auto-x. any ideas??? thanks so much in advance

Guest zline

i dont think they're available, you might wanna try Bilstien HDs - or just ask Ground Control.

Why would you want to go through the trouble of swapping in an engine with LESS displacement and carbs? You'd just get LESS power. Why not just keep the L24s and put triple webers on it? or hell just get a ZXT driveline?

- Daniel

Guest ae86drifter

L24 is SOHC. i've always wanted a 432Z with the S20 motor. and rb20 is the closest i could get to S20, unless i found one out of a KGCP10 and odds are highly unlikely. rb20 with 40mm weber and clutch and flywheel would be cool.

Chase - Welcome! I have 200# springs in the front of my Z and 225# in the rear with coilovers and its stiff! Especially the back it certainly a little harsh when going over bumps in the road.

So pls be careful how stiff a spring you put in your car, especially if you drive the car (even occasionally) on the street.

RB20 sounds cool - the sidedraft manifold will not be cheap! Would be neat to make it individual throttle bodies and prgrammable EFI - although that would be some big$$$

Anyway if you have any more questions feel free to ask!

Glad to see anothe AE86 enthusiast on here.

Regards - Yasin

Guest zline
L24 is SOHC. i've always wanted a 432Z with the S20 motor. and rb20 is the closest i could get to S20, unless i found one out of a KGCP10 and odds are highly unlikely. rb20 with 40mm weber and clutch and flywheel would be cool.

Yes, thats true, although the L series are single cam engines, they can still make serious horsepower, but whatever floats your boat. Rigoli Bros in australia can prob set you up with what you need for what you want engine wise.

Guest ae86drifter

Yasin, whats up man!! what shocks are you running on your coilovers??? I thought about rb25de with TWM individiual throttle bodies and SDS, but that would be SOO much money it wouldnt even be funny. i think rb20 or rb25de with FCR carbs, or webers, with forged pistons and clutch and flywheel would do my fancy for a great auto-x car.

I have 250# springs in front and 300# springs in the rear with Tokico 5-way Illumina's. My 240 took 2nd in the nation (SCCA BSP '98) and is, or was, a dedicted track car. I promise you that if you running anything stiffer than what I've got on your car, it will not only rearrange your internal organs but will be darty from lack of compliance over uneven road surfaces. :shock:

Guest zline
I have 250# springs in front and 300# springs in the rear with Tokico 5-way Illumina's. My 240 took 2nd in the nation (SCCA BSP '98) and is, or was, a dedicted track car. I promise you that if you running anything stiffer than what I've got on your car, it will not only rearrange your internal organs but will be darty from lack of compliance over uneven road surfaces. :shock:

i think he wants a mainly street with occasional autocross car...

he's got some insane spring rates for either...good luck with whatever you choose bro! :D

Guest ae86drifter

car is NOT going to be driven on the street. it has a 10pt cage installed and fiberglass doors.

anyways, did you section your struts to run those illuminas? if not do you bottom out alot?? i was thinking 1.5inch section with 300zx Z31 struts up front, and 1.5inch section in with 240z front struts in the rear, tokico illumina brand.

Guest zline
car is NOT going to be driven on the street. it has a 10pt cage installed and fiberglass doors.

anyways' date=' did you section your struts to run those illuminas? if not do you bottom out alot?? i was thinking 1.5inch section with 300zx Z31 struts up front, and 1.5inch section in with 240z front struts in the rear, tokico illumina brand.[/quote']

my mistake, its just you never stated if your car was 100% track etc., -- sectioning struts just restores suspension travel. when you lower a Z you lose travel, so we section the struts to restore it.

The Z31 strut is WAY to wide I've never seen it on a 240Z before...basically what you could do is this, return your GC coilovers, upgrade to 280Z strut housings all around ream out a AZC coilover kit to fit your new 280Z struts, install their camber plates and go 200# 225# f/r respective and then upgrade to 4 piston brakes with 11 3/4" brakes all around.

Guest zline
I believe with those spring rates you will turn the unibody into the suspension. You will need to go with some Penske's or custom Bilsteins.

Tim

already told him to go bilstein tim =P guess great minds think alike...

You can also custom valve koni's any way you want them. There are quite a few custom shock builders out there. olin's , carrera , wp? are a few that come to mind. It wont be hard to find one of them that cam make something that will work for you. You will just need very deep pockets. They will need to know the weight of each end of the car and the sprung and unsprung weights, travel range and the spring rates. As was said before, thats a mighty stiff spring. I would guess that springs that stiff are for a car thats producing downforce. Thats something you will never have on the autocross track. I have never run on a autocross before but at a guess i think you would need something with great turn in and huge traction out of the corners. With sping rates that stiff you will have no traction any where! I would swap the springs for some below the 300 lb mark. You might be able to use a off the shelf shock then. Use the anti roll bars to control the car in the corners.

Cheers

Douglas

Guest ae86drifter

springs are

F: eibach ERS 12.00in length

2.50in dia

350lbs/in

R: eibach ERS 10.00in length

2.5in

375lbs/in

what about tokico illumina or Koni D shocks

Chase - Okay bro this is what I am running for struts:

Front: Tokico Illumina 5ways (white)

Rear: Tokico ProDraG (green) - bought for me by a friend who used to live in Japan. It felt hacking up these brand new (and rare) struts for the spring support. Tokico UDSA used to have these struts but are no longer available - they are a full race strut too.

Here are some pics to check out:

Rear Tokico with the original spring perch removed completely:

13823071.jpg

Rear coilover:

13822332.jpg

Front coilovers:

13822725.jpg

13822673.jpg

Hope that helps, please ask if you have any more Q's - do you have any pics of your 240Z?

Where are you going to get your triple sidedraft intake for the RB and are you maiking the engine mounts at home, how does the RB tranny fit on the stock x-member support and shifter location etc etc? I guess I should just check the "RB Series" archives!

Best regards - Yasin

I have coil-overs with sectioned struts from Ground-Control, and yes there

is a limited amount of suspension travel. If it's a track only car with 10 point cage, etc. -by all means use a stiff spring, but after playing around with different spring rates I have to say anything stiffer than what I have gains you nothing IMO.

If you have the money, go for rebuildable Penske's- custom valved for your car and driving style, otherwise go for adjustable Illumina's or Koni's.