HybridZ

rubberundercoat removal tips

Guest ae86drifter

Guest ae86drifter

whats the best way to get rid of this stuff!!! i want to get it down to bare metal and paint it all wiht por-15, i did the engine bay but it didnt have all this rubber undercoat. i heard dry ice??? any tips would be great

Guest Dan0myte

You're going to have a tough time, living in Phoenix. People in colder climates can usually just chip it off in large chunks.

Go buy a couple cans of Mr. Muscle oven cleaner and just coat the thing like it's going out of style. Then either get some air tools or prepare for hours and hours of manual labor.

Guest ae86drifter

good thing im a young guy. whats this mr muscle stuff your talking about?? got a URL where i can buy? or can i just go to pep boys or checker auto??

Guest Want aZ

Go To Wal Mart, Mr Muscle is OVEN CLEANER, due to its high Lye Content, it basicly just eats it away, Ive used oven cleaner for ages to clean car parts. But one word of caution...DO NOT USE ON ALUMINUM will also eat it up...Just spray the stuff on, and let it sit in the sun, the heat will help it work better. But, it may take several applications

Use an air chisel, it will knock the stuff off in chunks! I assume you are talking about the rubber stuff on the floors of the interior? I took mine off quickly with the air chisel. Make sure you wear eye protection because the chunks will fly towards your face often smashing against the glasses!

I second the Oven cleaner idea. The brand to use is Mr. Muscle don't buy any generic ones. Don't get this stuff on your skin! Let it sit for about 10 minutes and what I did was use a pressure washer to spray it off. My pressure washer is only 1300psi so there were some left overs and I just used a handy chisel. Also you can plug your pressure washer to your water heater, it helps. This process will take it down to the primer. What I did to take off the primer was use those circular 3m paint strippers. Or you can use those chemical strippers. Hope this helps

Jason

I second the Oven cleaner idea. The brand to use is Mr. Muscle don't buy any generic ones. Don't get this stuff on your skin! Let it sit for about 10 minutes and what I did was use a pressure washer to spray it off. My pressure washer is only 1300psi so there were some left overs and I just used a handy chisel. Also you can plug your pressure washer to your water heater, it helps. This process will take it down to the primer. What I did to take off the primer was use those circular 3m paint strippers. Or you can use those chemical strippers. Hope this helps

Jason

Guest freakypainter

if you dont have access to shop equipment go to home depot and buy a $20 heat gun and a $5 putty knife and go to town. you can heat it up enough to scrape it off like butter. just dont melt it, it turns into a tar like stuff and makes a mess.

Guest Zed Nugent

Just to add, If you want to get the asphalt floor/tunnel mats (in the car interior) off, goto Harbor Freight and buy and Pneumatic gasket scraper for $20, It peels the stuff up like peeling an orange, Did my whole interior in about 3 hours and it wont beat up the metal, Hell it didn’t scratch the primer/paint unless you got crazy with it. I'm gonna give the pressure washer a try on the exterior stuff thanks for the tip.

The air chisel will not scratch the interior primer either and it will also take you about three hours to get all of it done. As far as using the pressure washer on the undercoating goes, I tried that last summer and only the weak undercoating flew off. The rest of it would not budge.

• 1 month later...
Guest Zed Nugent

An update , someone on the board suggested to use a needle scaler, so I went to harbor freight and bought an attachment for my air hammer,

MAN he was right it pops it off like you wouldnt believe! no more heat gun for me, just a quick wipe with mineral spirits and its clean, the ony problem is the needles have a flat end and if your not parallel to the surface it does nick the metal slightly , I think I will try to round the needles on the grinder and try again, It also finds metal areas with internal rust , it its thinned by rust it will beat it a bit , which helps because these areas need repaired but look ok from the outside.

I used a propane torch (just to heat, not burn) the stuff and scrape in sections. Clean up the remainder with mineral spirits on a rag. Heat gun would be better.

Morgan (Z31.com) used dry ice. Set it on the floors. Wait a few hours.

remove dry ice. Hit with a rubber mallet. Interior asphalt sheets shattered (they were adhered well) and so did the undercoating underneath. You'd still need to do stiffer areas with heat/scraper,

but for panels that are away from stiff areas, the dry ice would be the ticket.

If I ever do rust work again, I'll have to get one of those needle scalers!

If I ever do rust work again' date=' I'll have to get one of those needle scalers![/quote']

I have never used a needle scaler but I'd love to have one---sounds like it would do the job! I remember an old thread where it worked out the best of any of the tools/methods mentioned.

Davy