HybridZ

Upgrading headlights question....

Guest timn

I may be going about this the wrong way but looking in my 280zxt service manual located the Lighting relay on pass side in front of shock tower. #7 in list of relays...unbolted the box and underneath saw;

1. smaller guage black wire

2. larger guage black wire

3. brown wire

4. red/blue striped wire (next to brown)

5. red/green striped wire (by itself)

Using my circut tester I noted that the; brown, red/blue & red/green all held positive charges at one time or another. Also those three all go into headlights at the lights themselves.

Turning on lights noted brown wire only one charged on high beams.

On low beams both red/blue and red/green held charge.

My question is could I just run a larger guage wire directly from battery to this relay. If so which color wire would I replace with the larger guage battery wire?

If I need to use an additional relay which wires would I use to turn on and off the relay to turn on and off my high and low beams?

Or do I need to go directly to my turn signal/cruise control/light lever and try to find correct wire to turn on and off the relay for the lights? Would I bypass original lighting relay (#7) all together which would mean I would need to also find way to control high and low beams.

Or am I going about this all wrong? I looked on all listed sites even Paprasska's diagram but his is for a 240z (different colors)

Len

My setup is very easy. You just plug on headlight socket into a plug and it does the rest for you after pluging in the sockets and getting battery and ground wired in.

If I were going to do my own system I would just use the wires from the switch as signal wires and use seperate relys for high and low beam. Pull the signal from the switch.

I believe I understand how it works after going on to Painless website I saw the harness...

Looks like you have three plugs

two plugs (male) you plug directly into the lights themselves after removing old plugs.

the one plug (female)you plug into the primary old headlight plug which will use that signal to operate the relays that: turn on and off; high and low the headlights using the power sorce from the battey.

Also you have your red wire running from your battery going thru the fuse along with the ground.

I was trying to use the old relays (and trying to figure which color wires to operate the relays; turn on low and high beam along with on and off) in my 280zxt and just install a larger guage wire from battery using two relays ala Pete's diagram.

A person can just use the primary headlight plug to operate the relays...or just order the Painless $77 or summit $48 inc. shipping for H-4 harness.

If you bought the separately the; two relays, fuse holder/fuse and wires along with plugs you would probably pay $32 so for $16 more summit sounds pretty fair. Although Painless could be better made.

Thanks for the input Cody :)