HybridZ

A little off topic but I didn't know where else to go.....

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I'm trying to drop a chevy V8 of a good displacement (preferably 350 or 383) into a japanese car, and here's why it's a little bit off topic, but still up your collective alley: It's a 1990 Acura Integra RS, which is pretty well stripped, so i'd be putting on new axles and mounts and stuff anyway, but will this even fit in there? People have told me i'm crazy, which I have come to accept, but that hasn't curbed my desire to put a big engine in a small car to try and turn some heads. Also, would mid mounting be easier, since this car is a hatch? Thanks

Guest Anonymous

An Integra is FWD, and is not going to easily accept a small block Chevy of any type.

You could build a tube chassis for it, and convert it to RWD, but this would be a major undertaking. You "might" be able to adapt a Northstar 4T80E transaxle and keep it FWD, but it wouldn't be easy...if possible at all. If it were mine, I'd get a good Integra motor from one of the places that imports used engines from Japan, and slap on an aftermarket turbo kit. bonk.giftwak.gif

Guest Anonymous

I see what you're sayin, but I do want to make it RWD, a transverse mount with an engine that big would make the car so nose heavy it'd be funny. The prepped engine with a turbo was something I thought of, but I really don't want to go the stock route unless it's my last option. How hard would it be to fab some mounts and extend the frame in the trunk and mount it back there and just have the tranny link right up to the axle a la porsche/ferrari/lambo etc?

Guest Anonymous
Originally posted by Wildabeast:

I see what you're sayin, but I do want to make it RWD, a transverse mount with an engine that big would make the car so nose heavy it'd be funny. . How hard would it be to fab some mounts and extend the frame in the trunk and mount it back there and just have the tranny link right up to the axle a la porsche/ferrari/lambo etc?

No harder than building a tube chassis...you might check out some of the Fiero V8 swap sites for ideas. They have learned a few things about beefing up a GM transaxle to hold a V8; otherwise, you'd be lucking at adapting a megabuck ZF transaxle from a Porsche or something similar. If you have excellent fabrication skills, access to a TIG welder and a tubing bender, go for it. If not, this could be an infinitely deep money pit.

Guest Anonymous

Its almost a certainty that you'll need to notch the firewall and set the motor back, as mentioned its FWD so the bay is rather shallow, plenty of width, just not much length, hence setting the engine back into the cabin a bit. A Buick GN Turbo motor and 200R may have a better chance of fitting lengthwise, course it ain't a V8 (its just lighter and as powerful) and I'm pretty sure the turbo piping would all have to be custom fabbed, but then what in this project isn't?

I give you credit for even considering taking it on, its nearly a scratch build and not just a swap from what I can see and that takes lots of time and usually a fair bit of money and better than average metal skills. Good luck with it, it sounds like it would be one darn fast Honda.

Regards,

Lone

Guest Anonymous

Thanks for the support all, but I'm thinking that this might have to be a garage queen until I find a good automotive institution where I could learn fab and high performance engines and stuff, which I know a good deal about now, but there's always more to learn I guess. twak.gif Cars are kind of my passion in life, much to the dissapointment of the parents, but not their life. So any suggestions for a good automotive institution where I could learn to do something absurd like mount a big V8 into an Integra, or something of the like? Thanks

Guest Anonymous

Where are you located, there are several good mechanic schools dotted around the states, a web search on mechanics institutes or auto mechanic technician training should find you some schools if thats your passion, go for it.

Regards,

Lone

Guest MegaShaft_2000
Originally posted by Wildabeast:

I'm trying to drop a chevy V8 of a good displacement (preferably 350 or 383) into a japanese car, and here's why it's a little bit off topic, but still up your collective alley: It's a 1990 Acura Integra RS, which is pretty well stripped, so i'd be putting on new axles and mounts and stuff anyway, but will this even fit in there?

Man, you'd have to do a lot of work, redesign the entire car's drivetrain and make room for it to fit.

It would probably be much easier to find a RWD car and make a body kit to make that car look like an Integra.

Guest gbvol54

Being a dad of two teenage daughters I can understand your parents concern (we want the best for our kids). Being a bit of a gear head, I understand your desire to turn wrenches. As mentioned above, there are a number of very good options in this field but it deserves some research. Search the net, ask your teachers and advisors. Decide where you want to be 10 years from now and write down a plan on how to get there. Once you have thought it out and written it down, talk it over with your parents. You might be surprised how supportive they can be when presented with a logical plan for your furture.

Just call me Mr. Dear Abby.....

Nah, I don't think this project will be THAT difficult!!, just time consuming.

Take out all of the interior pieces (at least the stuff on the floor.

Cut out the 'tunnel' area and up around the firewall. Drop the V8 and trans in for placement/fit and fab in new sheetmetal aroung the engine/tranny.

You may have to change the seats for smaller ones depending on the finished size of the tunnel.

Use a narrowed live axle for the rear with a 4-link setup (again more cutting and fabbing of sheetmetal and strengthening of the mounting points for the axle).

This is a very ambitious project, so just make sure your saving account is fat and that you don't run out of motivation through the frustrating times (there will be A LOT of those!!).

I would suggest (since it seems like your experience level may not be up to the task....not to say that you're not smart and innovative)that you start with a more 'simple' project, like a car that's already set up for RWD.

just my 2c.

Ya know, I've been wondering about a GN-T in a miata rockon.giftwak.gifflamedevil.gif

Tim