HybridZ

Undercoating advise

Wagz

There have been a few discussions about whether it is best to paint, then undercoat using ruberized undercoating or roll-on bedliner material. I had one person recommend not putting anything over the paint at all. They contended that the undercoating would just retain moisture. If it is done well, it shouldn't be too big of an issue. Especially, if I am using multiple coats of POR-15 first.

Anyway, I will be prepping and painting the underside of my car with POR-15 in the comming weeks and I am trying to decide if the paint alone will be sufficient or whether I should undercoat too. If I undercoat, is the rubberized stuff best? Has anyone here actually used the roll-on bedliner material? If so, what were the results like?

My VR won't be a daily driver, but I want to give it the best rust protection I can. (within reason :roll: )

UPDATE: Cool. That was post number 250 and I notice that I am now a "Senior Member" When do I get my discount? And if post 250 makes me a senior member, does that make guys like Mikelly, Tim240Z and Pete older than dirt itself? :D

UPDATE: Cool. That was post number 250 and I notice that I am now a "Senior Member[/i']" When do I get my discount? And if post 250 makes me a senior member, does that make guys like Mikelly, Tim240Z and Pete older than dirt itself? :D

Hey, hey, hey, easy does it!! :D ......I'm only 30!!

Tim

Guest freakypainter

im not to familiar with the por15 that everyone here likes so much but if it is a self etching primer(has acid in it) several coats is bad. The acid in self etching primers sticks very well to bare steel but not so much to itself. Try one light coat (you should be able to see throught it) and then two coats of a primer/sealer.

i don't think straight paint would be a good idea because if you get any rock chips it'll just start rusting. i am going with a spray in box liner material called line-x. I've had it on my last three trucks and it is great. the shop can spray it on anywhere from 1/16 " to 3/8" and the stuff is indestructable. not to mention that they can pretty near match any color or paint the real color over it. the other good point is that it acts as an insulant and sound deadener. :-D

Guest Zachb55

i know people have said POR15 is tough stuff, but i doubt it can withstand a beating that is near to a constant sandblasting and not get chips and start to rust. i dont see why people think that undercoating is so bad, i mean look at every new car on the market today, they dont roll them off the lot with bare bottoms cause then when that ten year warranty still isnt up but the floorboards in the car have fallen out they will be in a deep pile of stuff. so i know im sticking with a good undercoating, probably something rubberized. and ill just put it over normal paint and primer like the car companies do and hope it lasts for a while, or atleast until i sell it to someone else :wink:

-Zach

Guest Zachb55

Racer X, sadly, the car in my sig is not mine, lol, i only wish.... well actually im working on making that a reality right now, just got done priming recently and hope to finish up and move on to painting soon... if you look at my Avatar real close you will see what is actually my car, or go to my site, i hope to have it updated with pics of my primed car as soon as i can get the bloody MS Frontpage to quite having errors :evil: oh well... thanks anywhooo,

-Zach

Thanks for the input guys. I am leaning toward the rubberized undercoating route. I agree that, although, POR-15 has a reputation for being tough, it should probably have some kind of coating over it for added protection.

I like the idea of using the bedliner material, but that stuff is so tough how would I remove it if I ever needed/wanted to? I had a bad enough time removing all of the factory undercoat and it wasn't as tough as bedliner material.

The one person I spoke with that recommended NOT undercoating at all was concerned about trapping moisture and causing more rust down the road, but I think that if I am diligent in applying the POR-15, this should be a minimal issue, if not a non-issue.