HybridZ

rear suspension almost done

ok the only thing holding me up is a cap and vent setup for the cell. then off to teh dyno to see if i fixed my tach signal.

During the rebuild i found that the way the battery cable was routed under the car it was rubbing on the driveshaft flange and had worn about halfway thru!!!!!! Im thinking that the arch from that was causing interferance with the dyno signal. This would explain why it would breakup around 4000rpm. If that is not clear im talking about the tach signal reading on teh dyno.... everything else on the car was fine ran all the way to redline with no problmes we just could not get any good runs with timing. so we had to tune with AF only. If we get timing back we will be able to fine tune somemore.

bled the brakes today also... besides a couple of leaks and the standard "oh shoot honey there is no fluid in there is that bad???" I guess i should watch the resivour <SP myself next time;>

well its late and im ramblin. sub 11 sec club here i come. :rockon:

well its done... well atleast back to where i had it before minus broken halfshafts ;> all thats left is cleaning up wiring and installing carpet :puke: so that may never get done ;>

anyways if all works out ill have it on the dyno again saturday now that i have my timeing indication issue worked out. Ill be feeding it race gas and a little more timing see if i can get 420rwhp on the stock turbos ;>

what kind of increase should i see just by using race gas?

the axles are lighter. the strut housing are a little lighter due to machineing for bigger bearings but the bigger bearings voided that. the frame and sheetmetal work for the cell probably weighs a tad more then the spare tire wellsheet metal i cut out. all in all couldnt really tell you if i added or subracted weight but either way it wasnt much.

To tell you the truth the how to page is kinda up in the air.... im sure there are much cheaper ways to get these axles in... and the only reason i went this route was becasue i got a hold of an entire z31 rear suspension for 200 bucks. i will sit down later and write up what everything cost me in parts and labor.

It was more expensive then a cv adapter upgrade. not much cheaper then a corvette swap and about half the price of parts alone for a nine inch swap (4 link pro type setup)

If i had come across the nine inch setup the way i did the z31 setup i would have done that but im kinda on a budget....that is shot to hell as it is ;>

something i started thinking about once i did this was pretty much any rear IRS setup that is relatively the same as the z could be done the same way i did mine. for example. a Gtr rear end also has 2 bearing in the hub. if the z strut could be machined to except these bearings then wala mount the diff make custom length axles and you have a rearend good for 600+ HP not to mention a great set of brakes ;>

• 2 years later...

Funny you used that example, thats simillar to what i have done. I had a plate machined (to replace the part that the GTR hub bolts to and the upper and lower arms bolt to) which was made to accept bolt on coilovers from a GTiR and rose jointed lower control arms and made a diff mount for the GTR diff and am getting shortend axles made. Should handle 600+hp, should be bulletproof with my 450hp.

do you have any pictures?

That was the next step for me but decided to go with a solid rearend. I still broke the bigger stubs on the z31 after i built it. it didnt help i was using a twin plate clutch and had upgraded to 4:88 rear gears. for the street i think it would have been fine but on a prepped track just didnt cut it in my application. I think going with an automatic would have helped to but oh well, It will be done now :> and will hold the 700+ RWHP i plan on throwing at it