HybridZ

300ZXT CV install in a 240 with a R200LSD

Dave

My 71 240Z has a R200 clutch type LSD and the stock U-jointed 1/2 shafts.

I have the 300ZX Turbo CV's that came with the R200 LSD and want to

use them instead of the 280ZX Turbo CV's. Some one on this site has

done this swap but I have spent the last hour trying to find who did it with

no luck. I think that the outer ball and cage assembly needed to be turned

around to make the CV assembly shorter. I have the pictures of the outer

adapter to mate the CV to the axle flange, so that much I have figured

out. I just need the info about what needs to be done to use the 300ZX

Turbo CV's.

Here is the picture of the adapters I saw

album_pic.php?pic_id=504

well that is a picture i posted. i was hoping to receive my adapters a week or so ago but due to a screw up with purolator they got sent back to me and then sent back to Ross. :? anyway when i get them i'll check out what is needed and post it. just from looking at the two cv axles and comparing the adaptors i think this may be just a straight swap and i will try it as such, then if there appears to be a problem with them being too long i will flip the ball and cage on the stub axle end and gain more clearance (my axles are currently getting teflon coated) so i cannot tell you how much they will be shortened by just yet. judging from the adapter pictures it looks like the adapter for the 280zxt cv's is quite a bit thicker then the z31t adapters and that would make up for the difference in length between the two cv's. :)

album_pic.php?pic_id=500

album_pic.php?pic_id=504

album_pic.php?pic_id=505

hope that helps for now. :D

i just measured the ball and cage unit and the difference between the normal position and with the unit flipped is 3/8". so if you flipped the ball and cage you would shorten the shafts length by 3/8". the only concern i would have with doing this is with the tapered shape of the cage makes it looks like you wouldn't get the same range of motion out of the cv, granted this may only show up at the most extreme angles, and for all i know with the S30 suspension it may not be possible to even reach those extremes.

ain't experimenting fun!! :D

album_pic.php?pic_id=502

it's kind of hard to see the assymetrical taper on the race in this picture but without my camera at the moment it's the best i can do.

I also was playing with the ball and cage and noticed that the race of

the tripod that fits on the spline is tapered on the one side more than

the other side. So that when that is flipped the taper is against the outer

snap ring, did you see that? It looks like the inner part may need to be

left in its original position and only the cage flipped if the extra room is

needed.

i could not tell you for sure but from what i've heard they are a tripod. when i see another z31 NA in the junkyard i'll have to pull a set and have a look. i may just buy them so i'll have a complete set :roll: i already have my origional ujointed shafts, 280zxt cv's and z31t cv's so why not round off my collection? :roll: at least then i can get some pictures and use them for dimensional references. :-D

I also have a set of the 280ZXT CV's and outer flanges. Are the adapters

you bought from Ross C. welded to the outer flanges? I saw that the 6 bolt

R230 adapters in another post were bolted to the axle flanges. Is your

260Z a early or late 74?

i have an early 74. the adapters that Ross C. sells are welded to the companion flanges that are off your car. the companion flanges from the 280zxt are too long to work well hence the adapter. if you are looking to put cv's in, regardless of which set, you should upgrade to the 280z stub axles and flanges if you have a 240z. the reason being that the 280z stub axles are stronger. you have to upgrade both because the 280z stubs have a different spline count than the 240z.

here is a picture of the flanges for reference.

album_pic.php?pic_id=516

except for the spline count and axle thickness, the 240z and 280z companion flanges are the same dimensions.

yes that is correct. when i took out my stub axles for the 5 bolt conversion i found that i had one 240 and one 280 stub axle so i only had to upgrade one stub. the 280zxt companion flange will fit on the 240 stub axle but the problem is that the cv's from the 280zxt are longer than the u-jointed axles. the 280zxt companion flanges are also longer than the 240 flanges so the whole assembly from the 280zxt will be too long for your suspension. it may fit but will not give you the range of motion needed for your suspension. the reason for the adapters is to make up for the extra length of the cv shafts and get the driveline back to the same geometery it had with the shorter u-jointed shafts. to go even farther, the 300zxt cv shafts are even longer than the 280zxt shafts so that is why the adapter for those shafts is even shorter than the 280zxt one. i hope this makes sense. :?

I knew that the 280ZXT CV's were almost too long to fit well and the outer

flange would only fit the 240's outer axle. I am hoping that there was room

in the adapter for the Z31 CV to bolt it to the outer flange instead of welding

it to the outer flange. If it needs to be welded then I will have to swap the outer

axles in my 240 for some out of a 280. I have the R200LSD in place so all

I need to do is fit the Z31 CV's in there to see how much room I have to play

with. When I removed the R200LSD and CV's from the 88 Turbo there was

room to compress the CV's and swing them out once they were unbolted from

the outer flanges. I would be one happy camper if I can get the same fit in my

Guest Anonymous

Hey, All.

Been away for awhile, real busy at work.

I just wanted to take a moment to say thanks to everyone on the site for all the excellent info. I work at a machine shop and can fab just about anything I want. But... Without this site and all the excellent info, it would have taken me much longer to get as far as I have on my car. I also would have made many more mistakes.

What motivated me to write this post was j260z's posting of the photo of the cv shafts from the 280ZXT and 300ZXT complete with dimensions compressed and extended. This is exactly the type of info that makes this site so valuable to me and I'm sure to many others who visit.

Thanks j260z and evryone else for the all of the excellent info. :D

Cheers, Mike.

P.S. Have a Happy Easter Weekend.

Guest 240hybrid

Like you guys Im running the 300zx turbo model CVs(ones with 4 bolts). I just got done turning my ball and cages around and it did cut about 3/8" as told. :D This is very pleasing in that I pulled my diff a few nights ago to adjust it and noticed when I pulled the CVs that they were just one enough to pop the end caps off. I think that 3/8" should keep this from happening, or so I HOPE. Well, any shortening is welcomed here and hope for the best. I dont think it'll make a difference in wear on the ball and cage, but only time will tell. Good luck to everyone else doing this conversion.

Chase

Chase, What did you use for the outer adapter where the CV bolts to the

the stock axle flange? Is it welded or bolted to the axle flange? When you

flipped the outer cage did you also flip the inner race?

Guest 240hybrid

Ross C made my adapters http://www.modern-motorsports.com I sent him my 280z companion flanges and he welded machined adapters to them. Then you CVs bolt up to the adapter through the reg. bolt holes. Send him a pic of the CV mount flange for verification as to which ones you have and he shouldnt have any problems makeing up a set for you.

As for the inner race ? , keep the entire assembly together. I put duct tape around the balls to keep them in and they keep the inner race aligned. The manual says to mark the inner and outer in order to keep you from moving it from the original location. I found that out the hard way and had to buy another CV after accidently moving it and having it bind when reassembled. :?

• 2 weeks later...

I have a set of non-turbo Z31 CV's and it dose not look like the 3-bearing (ball thing?) is offset to gain the room I might need.

Is it only the turbo CV's that will flip?

Will my non-turbo CV's fit with Ross C adapters?

Any info would help.

brad go back to page one of this thread and look at the picture i posted comparing the z31turbo ball and cage to the 280zxt tripod. i think the z31na uses the same tripod setup as the 280zxt. if that is the case then you cannot change the length. as for Ross's adapters i know he makes the 4 bolt z31turbo adapter but am not sure about the z31na.