HybridZ

Which coolant do you use on your Z?

Sumo

Guest silverbullet

I once used the Prestone extended life A/F when it first came out some years ago in my mothers 1990 Nissan sentra, flushed it real good with chemicals like I do every year everything was very clean we (I) decided to install the 2-year extended life stuff, 2 yrs. later I went to flush it and flush and flush long story short that stuff so rusted the inside of the block I simply could not get all the rust out and every year after that I still get a significant amount of rust, absolutely will not use it again!

• 3 months later...
Guest rick458

you have to be careful with different antifreeze formulations

they are made for specific component materials ie aluminum

Vs copper or brass or cast iron that is why new owners manuals tell you

what to use and what NOT to use my 2002 Explorer show specifically to NOT use the red

i use whatever is on sale for 5.00 or less, have a very mild climate, doesnt ever get to freezing around here, so i use a 25/75 coolant ratio to water, and for some reason or another, i end up flushing out the coolant about three times a year, so far, no crud! also found car runs better with the least amount of antifreeze possible, i only use it to avoid corrosion and scale.

Antifreeze not only prevents corrosion of engine parts (in particular aluminum parts), but it lubricates the water pump.

Not sure what the advantage of running other than a 50-50 mix would be. Besides, never can tell when you might make a road trip into the mountains.

I have also read ariticles claiming Toyota's antifreeze is incompatible with standard antifreeze. Thus when switching types make sure to flush the system to completely remove any traces of the old antifreeze.

Guest cbrunberg

I'm planning on trying the Evans waterless coolant. It's supposed to wet the surface area better, lasts a lifetime, uses a 0 - 3 pound cap (hoses and rad. last longer), doesn't need a thermostat, and is environmentally friendly. They say it's regularly used in heavy equipment , race cars and there new formula is great for daily drivers. It costs 25.00 gal but it's a lifetime product 8) . Read their website.

http://www.evanscooling.com/main21.htm

Carl