HybridZ

drivers wheel on my 240z sitting farthur out at the bottom

Guest thepenguin99

Guest thepenguin99

Yesterday I installed my new centerline aztecs and yokohama tires. Today I noticed that the drivers front wheel is sitting farthur out at the bottom than at the top. Can anyone give me some ideas what could be causing this?

The only thing I could think of was a severly worn bushing in my control arm. Anything else I should check before tearing into my front suspension? Before I got the car about a month ago it sat up for 10 years just fyi.

Please help

Nathan

When I bought my Z it had a thumping noise in the front end. I checked ball joints and tie rod ends for play, retorqued the strut tower bolts (top and bottom) and the strut cartridge gland nut (if that is what it is called). Still had the bump. Went for an alignment. One shop told me I needed the front strut tube bent to get a proper alignment. Took it to another shop, and they told me it aligned just fine.

I didn't find the source of the problem until I replaced the struts about a year later. The top of the strut cartridge bolts into the upper isolator through a D shaped hole. This hole had worn out over time allowing the strut shaft to wobble around in the isolator. Scary thing was the strut shaft was half way eaten through.

Sorry to ramble on, but the problem could be in the lower ball joint or any of the bolts holding the upper part of the strut and strut cartridge in place. You might also have a slightly twisted body causing the upper strut mount to be out of place.

Check everything for play, retorque all bolts and take it to an alignment shop you trust for an assesment.

Guest silverbullet

Sorry to ramble on

Jim (and everyone else), PLEASE don't feel sorry for rambling on, although I wouldn't call it rambling, very precise details like the ones you just gave are what make a good post, now everyone gets to benefit from that particular experience and I personally will know a few more things to check for when I rebuild my suspension soon, Thanks :D