HybridZ

Small Block Chevy or 280ZX Turbo Engine Swap

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Which engine is a better choice to swap in the place of a 280Z stock engine?

The Chevy is definately more expensive and probably a bit more difficult but allows for much more horsepower and betters mods for later increased power. The added weight is another issue though...

How much horsepower can the Turbo 280ZX engine put out without any hugely expensive or difficult mods?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Jason

I would not exactly say much more power, ultimately yes if you rebuild the 350, but most 350 engines wont take more than about 450 HP before I'd start getting nervous, and on some of the 80s stuff that is probably pushing it. LT1 I know can be taken to around 600HP with some freaking good luck, but I would not push one past 550 HP without expecting something to break, at best only the rods will bend and nuke the engine, if not a number of things dying.

Anyhow, the way to answer this is what do you want. Turbo engine can be taken to over 400 HP on stock internals, I have heard 500HP is doable but who knows. However, to get there you'd have to go to an aftermarket computer, or else run pig rich at idle/low throttle, or maybe hack up a solution like a rheostat to the AFM, or a 300ZXT computer with ECCS, Megasquirt (cheap, but some work involved), etc etc

I also like the fact that you can to some degree, scale your HP in chunks, which serves my road racing fantasy quite well, since I wont need to be swapping cams every 4 months or so for the next chunk of HP, you can up the boost, upgrade the turbo, and so on.

What I like about the L6 turbo, is it slips right in, mates with the trans, no custom driveshaft needed, and if you stay out of boost most of the time your gas mileage will rock compared to an equal HP V8, if the V8 is NA. So to get a car right into the high 13/low 14 area (if 240Z), toss in a turbo L6, no real hassle, fancy cooling mods or anything like that involved.

There are plusses to both I suppose, if you want over 400-500 HP then you probably want a V8 built up for it, but for that extra power you will pay $$$ for it.

Guest Zcarsmakemyheadhurt

If you don't build a V8engine that makes at least 400hp it's not worth the conversion in my opinion. Also remember the turbo car is going to be more driveable and fuel efficient than a V8. If you spend the money right you won't break the bank. Good luck.

Guest JAMIE T

I agree with what has already been stated above. I am doing a Turbo swap myself. And, I am also going to do a V8 swap using an LT1 and 6spd. I picked up my turbo engine(which I still haven't gotten from the seller :? ) for only $650 complete including the harness and AFM. Conversely, an LT1 with transmission will set you back more than $1500(usually about $2500). Don't expect steller performance from the turbo engine without a few mods. I would say a minimum of boost controller, 240sx throttle body, and a nice fuel pump. If you want more power, expect to put another grand into it atleast. That would include an intercooler, piping, injectors, etc... At this point, you will have started to make about the same HP, and torque that the LT1 would make with minimal bolt-ons. My Z28 makes over 340 rwhp it has ported and polished heads, HOT cam, and other mods, not considered bolt-ons. For more than 300rwhp from the turbo engine, definatly you will need a better turbo than the stock one. Add another $500 minimum to the price of the turbo engine swap. Yes the L28ET will be an easier swap, but HP for HP, the price will likely equal out in the long run.

Guest Anonymous

If my goal is to just get around 300 horsepower or so out of the engine, I can do this with a Chevy for around $2,500 or so and it will be VERY easy and cheap to modify later for additonal horsepower.

Can I get this kind of power from the 280ZX Turbo engine easily and cheaply? Maybe replace the air intake, add headers, redo exhaust... or will I have to go even further and more expensive, as I know nothing about turbos or intercoolers.

I love the idea that the initial turbo swap is cheaper and very easy, but am worried about getting the engine to where I want it.

Thanks alot, as you guys are all VERY helpful.

Jason

Depending on your engine of choice, it could cost alot less than that, 300 HP is nothing out of a V8. My top end ran me $2260 and made 411/385 at the wheels out of an LT1/T56, and $300 for a used set of coated 1 3/4" headers, Tunercat $89, cable $65.

Why don't you find out what a nice street driven turbo Z runs, and then see what a V8 car runs.

I would go with the turbo 6, but that is just me. I have not had anyone in my Z club with a V8 match the 1/4 mile times of my ZXT, and I am going on 5 years on the same engine. Lets see them do that and race it too.

Besides it is much more fun to beat up on a v8 with a lowly 168 cubic inch L6.

I would say though that an LT1 or LS1 with 6 speed would likely get better mileage then the 6. If you retained the EFI.