HybridZ

no spark

Joe-Z

ok guys,my Z has been sitting for almost a year and i got every thing hooked back up and i'm not getting a spark? now could this be my coil or igniton box?

i have a crane cams PS-91 coil and crane cams XR-700 igniton box.

could my box have gone bad cause i dont think it is the coil cause i hooked up a different coil and still no spark but it was a stock coil but should that make a difference?

i just don't know what else it could be and i thought i would ask the Z gods

I HATE ELECTRICAL :evil::evil::evil:

thanks

Probably not the coil if 2 of them wont work. You can test the coil by measuring resistance between the negative lead and positive, and the ground to the spark outlet, report back with what your measurements are and someone should be able to judge if the coil is dead or not.

well i think it is my box because here's what happend:

when out to look at it for the 500 time,so I tryed to start the car one more time,still nothing ,so i get out and knock on the box and hear this,psss,POP pssss :shock::shock: !!!

and then this melted smell :shock:

now i know every thing is hooked up right so why would this happen?

it is a old box almost 6 years,could the box just have gone bad?

well i think i'll go buy another box when i get paid but if any body has an idea as to why this happend please help :-D

Joe

ok

i still don't know why i'm not getting spark,but when my key is in the on position the ballast resistor get super hot(don't ask me how i found out).

can you hook a ballast resistor up backwards?

i'm positive i hooked everything back up the same way,i hope?

why would this happen?

Joe-Z

The ballast resistor heating up means you have excessive current going through it. Undoubtably means something down stream of the resistor is shorted out to ground. Could be the ignition box is fried, could be a wire has chaffed/melted insulation and is shorting out to ground.

This type of thing should be easy to isolate with a simple voltmeter/test lamp. simple I guess if you know what to look for.

BTW, ever hear of the smoke theory of electrical equipment? Electronic components are all made with a certain amount of smoke built into them. When something happens to let all the smoke out, then they no longer work.

Also be careful installing a new ignition box until you have ensured all of the wiring is in good shape. The old box may have fried because something is shorted out or hooked up incorrectly. Installing a new box without fixing the original problem may result in another fried box.

Good luck.