HybridZ

Testing turbo coil transistor?

Mudge

No, the computer really couldn't care less - the injector timing is based only on the crank angle sensor. The ignition timing is based off the same reference - they are separate systems.

Gotcha, but mine is in the diz, I have an 82 setup. There is a high res and low res pulse I believe(?) one with a 6 pulse per revolution and 360 per revolution of the diz I think.

I'll test both diz signal pins again to see whats doin, I can't see what else would be holding it up :(

In theory I suppose it should work - the crank angle sensor in the distributor will give you a TDC trigger for every cylinder (the coarse signal, 6 per rotation). Adapting the signal levels would be easy, if you knew the requirements for the ignition box.

Good news, sort of. Pins 8 and 17 test out with two distinctly different voltage signals, both fluctuate when rotating the diz.

Turning the diz by hand gives me a signal at the pin 5 output (YW), aka the negative transistor 'trigger.' It gives me a solid ground and goes to zero volts intermittently when rotating, looking at the response time of the DVM I can see that it would be too slow when cranking the car by the starter, to show me any kind of reaction. The light that I used is a 10w 12v bulb too, so I think it was holding a charge long enough that I couldn't see reaction from it, since this pin 5 output is a low power trigger (light was dim).

Injectors still try to fire (fuel is unplugged for testing), each one I know clicks because I hooked up one injector at a time.

So I can assume that maybe the ignition module is dead, but at this point I assume nothing as fact :mad::) argh

• 1 month later...
Guest aspemino

My car was losing ignition too ('83 turbo z) If you get a logic sensor ($40-$60) which is a fancy led circuit tester you can see every time the signal is sent from the dizzy, either for the fuel or ignition. I was able to check mine while I cranked it over with the key at the ecu harness. (Mine only failed once it got good and warm!) If that checks out ok, then recheck it at the transistor/ignitor then you will know that it must be the wiring or the ecu.

Good luck,

Aspemino