HybridZ

Transmission Options for HiPo Chevy build....

Mikelly

Guys I'm researching my options for my 500+HP 383 stroker setup...

T56 - Been there, done that, don't want to do it again...

T5 - Only a custom setup would live with that kinda torque although I'm all ears... Educate me.

Richmond - Holly COW.... ESSSSPENSIVE! Although the ROD-6 is very attractive for the gear selections... I've been told that you CAN get the 5 speed in a much broader gear range than shown in Jegs and Summit, but I've not asked Richmond directly... Plus the external rails might be an issue with the trans tunnel...

TREMEC TKO & 3550 - Well The 3550 isn't the most potent, but doable, but the TKO would certainly live in the car... Again, Cost is a factor, but not as expensive as the Richmond option...

Others???

Mike

My issues with the T56 have nothing to do with its ability to withstand 500Ft.# of Torque or 540HP. I had a T56 in my last project Zcar. It is still in my garage, as I've sold it but need to ship it out. The T56 is, in my opinion after having one, not the best option. The reason I say this is two fold:

Gearing. The need for TWO overdriven gears is still baffling to me.

Weight. The weight of the flywheel, and transmission combined is fairly substantial when considering your options... A regular Tremec 5 speed or T5 is about 45# less in weight... That is fairly significant.

It is funny that I've reversed my original opinion of this transmission as Jim Biondo tried to convey this same opinion to me in 1998 when I was building my first Z! I was just too hard headed to listen! :lol:

Mike :D

Mike, I'm putting a TKO-II in mine right now. 500+ ft-#, 0.83 OD, about 103# wet. I'm losing 50# from the 700R4! The bad news is I'm a little past the $3500 mark. The only Q I have so far is the shift quality, and hopefully I can let you know about that this weekend!

John

Yeah, a T56 is a heavy tranny, but I think the problem you (Mikelly) had was with surging in 6th. In the mean time I've read that the T56 works best with fuelinjection. I don't have a problem with my T56, efi, and 3:73 gears, but with a carb it just does not work right. It has to do with the low rpm, and vacuum signal.

Here's are some links Mike

http://www.jericoperformance.com

http://www.g-forcetransmissions.com

Check out G-force's Upgraded T-5 they claim can handle 600HP or 500 lbs. of torque in a 3,300 lb. vehicle

Liberty Gear doesn't have a web site that I know of, but their phone number is 313-278-4040. Their G-101 is rated to handle up to 1000HP and 14,000 rpm. If that is not enough :rolleyesg: their clutchless five-speed can withstand 2400HP in a 3000 pound car!

Mark :2thumbs::2thumbs::2thumbs: