HybridZ

Bar and Plate or Tube and Fin?

I'm toying with the idea of buying and new intercooler. What I have now is a HKS intercooler kit that is still on the market. I've been happy with the kit for the most part but, I think I'm losing effeciency when I want to go past 14 psi. The core is 12x9x2.5 and has 2" pipe connecting it. I've been doing some looking around on ebay at a couple of different units and I'm now curiuos as to what design is better or the pros and cons of each. This would be the third unit on the car and would like to have a unit that will flow enough for 500 hp or so. Right now I'm set up to be in the 350 to 375 range. Currently I'm making about 320 (13.4 @ 108) at the crank with the stock DP and 3" cat back. Lockjaw hooked me up with some flanges for the turbo and I have all the 3"manderal bent pipe to make a new DP. Now I just need the time to do it. After the new DP is on I'm thinking that should really free up a few ponies. Hopefully I'll upgrade the turbo in the next year or two and so and and so forth with different mods.

I am running a Bar and Plate Spearco 221, which is a top to bottom flow with an 18x6x3.5 inch core, inlet and outlet on the same side. It is supposed to flow 1050 cfm at 1.5 psi pressure drop.

Here's my personal opinion. Go with something with a low pressure drop until you get into a big turbo, ie, a 62-1 or so. The reason being the more efficient intercoolers, like crossflow models have more pressure drop, and having to make that up by increasing the boost could push a smaller turbo out of its efficiency range, and likely will. Big turbo's can handle the extra pressure and pressure drop without dropping out of their efficiecy.

I fit all that into my car, so it can be done, I can send you a pic or two if you would like.

You can check Road Race Engineering for some different models, I got mine from TopEnd and they matched a cheap price I found on the internet, and can hook you up with that info as well.

Run 2.25 lines if you want it to be easy, 2.5 if you want to pull your hair out. HAHA

Guest Zcarsmakemyheadhurt

Glade to see your car is coming along so well, I've been watching. Sound's like your intercooler is right for what you have done to the car right now. Push it to 18psi on race gas and see what hapens. As for your intercooler. Size it to your turbo and make sure not to go overboard on the core, it may hurt more than it helps. Good luck.