HybridZ

Im lookin to do a 350/350 conversion. Have a few questions

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

ok. I have a 71 240z. Im lookin to drop in a 350/th350 combo. Im getting ready to order the JTR manual. I was going to buy the MSA kit, the motor mounts and the tranny mounts. Is that all i need other then the speedo cable, and driveshaft. I looked at the JTR conversion stuff, and there were a lot of spacers and small stuff, are those necessary.

If anyone has done the JTR conversion, do you only need the kit that is 325 dolalrs, and the motor mounts.

Also, i was wondering how easy it would be to make my own parts, such as customizing my own motor and tranny mounts.

Im thinkin that all i need is motor mounts, tranny mount, i will have a cusome drive shaft made, custome radiator, and buy a speedo cable. That dont seem too hard.

Guest Anonymous

I read that earlier, it helps a lot, but im wondering if i need all them spacers and what not. Can i get away with just motor mounts and tranny mount and driveshaft. And weither the MSA or the JTR conversion is better, or if they are the same.

Get from JTR:

1. setback plates (x2)

2. Spacers for motor mounts (x2)

3. tranny mount (x1)

Don't bother with the body spacers. For the engine mounts, get a set of 69-71 chevy truck units from the local parts store.<$20

The rest of the stuff you can get locally, make yourself, or get from MSA.

I can't answer the question reqarding spacers since, I haven't completed the conversion on my '71 project yet. But, I believe they are necessary to position the engine/tranny in line with the diff. The Z drive train is not centered in the car, but is actually offset slightly to the passenger side. I purchased the entire kit but haven't installed yet. You could fabricate the needed setback plates yourself (the JTR book includes the plans), but the spacers seem a little more difficult.

I also have a '76 that had the JTR conversion done before I bought it. The installer didn't purchase the spacers and instead used grade 8 nuts on the mount bolts as spacers. I plan on replacing this setup with proper spacers.

Also, I would seriously reconsider using a TH350 tranny. I have this setup with a 3.54 diff on my '76 and it sucks going down the highway. If you plan on using this car on the open road you will want an overdrive tranny.

You don't need to buy anything from JTR (EXCEPT THE BOOK). Just make the set back plates and engine spacers to their specs. Most guys on this board have made all their own parts. You might consider buying the engine spacers from them, because their aluminum ones are cheap and look a lot more "factory" than welding together 3 sections of pipe cut to the right length. You will need the driveshaft yokes, so JTR is probably as good a source as any.

I think the only other "spacers" are the isolators they put between the transmission crossmember and the body. But if the search function is working there are better solutions than the jury rigged JTR mount (IMO)

People tend to like the JTR position over the MSA one because the JTR positions the engine lower and farther back. This gives argurably a better weight distribution and lower center of gravity. The JTR mount also positions a manual shifter better in the stock shifter hole. Maybe not an issue for you.

Read up on transmissions. The 350 without overdrive revs the engine too much with the typical Datsun rear end ratios (typically 3.54 or higher). 4 speed overdrive autos are pretty common and cheap thus unless you have a free Turbo 350 there is really no reason to consider one.

Also you can recore the stock radiator to a 3 row core. This will cool a V8. However you will save a lot of weight with an aluminum Griffin radiator from Summit. A search should give you the exact dimensions most guys are using. Oh, and a 2 speed electric fan from a Taurus seems to be the fan of choice, althougth I prefer a mechanical set up as per JTR.

Get the JTR book and I think you will answer most of your own questions. The book has full sized templates of the set back plates. The JTR kit is more of a convenience than a requirement.