HybridZ

drivers front wheel sitting out at the bottom -Episode 2-

Guest thepenguin99

Guest thepenguin99

Ok my wheel is sitting out about an inch more at the bottom than at the top. I got around to checking different things and I am starting to wonder what the heck is up. The ball joint and control arm bushing seem to both be in good shape. My car has no evidence of ever being involved in a serious accident.

I am now thinking that maybe the spindle is bent. Am I totally off my rocker? My first thought was that the strut tube was possably bent but I would think I could tell if that was the case whenever I went over a bump.

Please help. This problem is really getting annoying.

Nathan

Sounds like what you are talking about is negative camber, does that sound right? I have too much on my rear setup and the tire wears poorly, drivers side is a tad lower also but the springs are cut so that could be why.

How low is the car?

Guest thepenguin99

The wheel bearings feal a little slack, I can shimmy the wheel a little when it is jacked up. Do you think that could cause the wheel to be out a full inch at the bottom?

Nathan

i'm not sure, but if there is any slack in the wheel it is not a good sign. it could be that the little slack that is there is enought that, over the 24" or so diameter of your wheel, it could make the wheel look like it is out by an inch. i would definately adjust the tension on your bearings and replace them if needed. they don't cost that much. i think i paid $25 canadian for the inner, outer and seal.

Guest thepenguin99

Well new wheel bearings here I come then probably=). Does me being to slightly shake the wheel indicate that they are totally bad or do I need to take it apart and examine them? I hope this fixes the problem because its the only thing keeping me from driving my car.

No way a little wear in the wheel brgs is gonna give you 1" difference between the top and bottom of the tire unless they are so loose the hub is about to fall off. I'd guess a bent strut, bent strut tube, shot lower ball joint, bad LCA bushing, or frame damage from a wreck.

John

Guest thepenguin99

Well I tightened up the bearings today and it got rid of the play in the wheel. My wheel still sits an inch or so out at the bottom grrrrr. I guess I will change the spindle tomarrow just to see if it helps.

doh

Nathan

Yeah, it wont account for an entire inch (have you checked your springs?), but if you can move them any noticeable amount they are dead and will get worse fast.

Is there nothing obviously wrong with the half shafts when looking at the rear end? I would think something would have to be pretty whack, either springs or something busted, or A arm stuff coming off the car litterally.

Guest thepenguin99

Thx for all the input guys. Today I switched the strut tube/spindle from my parts car and it fixed the problem. The odd thing is you cannot tell the old one was bad by looking at it or using a straight edge on the tube.

woohoo almost driving again

Nathan