HybridZ

Another Scarab

Just wanted say hello. I am one of those scarab owners. Bought the car in '88 from a guy who did the Scarab conversion. I have all his literature, glosseys,how to ,etc.The Z was built 09/71. Engine is a '68 327 350 horse. Bored 30 over with forged pistons 10:1, camel hump heads, Eldlebrock intake and I believe a Holley 650. The engine has been balanced, blueprinted. A Muncie m20 4speed. Mallory dual point. FiberGlass front fenders. This may be one of the longest restorations going since I am now in what, my 14th year. The car is completely dissassembled and sitting on a dolly. It is solid except the passenger rail right where the sway bar attaches. I hope is to get it back together before I retire in about 3 years. Again just wanted to say hello , thanks for having this site. Hopefully,I will in the time to come be able to make some small contribution to all the knowkedge that is out there.

Hey now count me in as well. Bought car from a guy who converted it in 1978..a real oldie. On my 3rd motor. Welcome ..!! Go scarab!

zfan..Mike b_hand.gif

Guest Anonymous

Hey man, I love my scarab too! Especially since I found out it has lsd (99% sure). I did a burnout the other night and went back to look at the marks yesterday. There were two identical black streaks, so signs point to yes. I think I got a killer deal. I only paid $2000 for it (this is in AK, too). I will have pics posted very soon.

Sorry about ranting.

EDIT: Took it out for another spin tonight, and now I'm thinking may be a welded diff. It kinda skips or hops around corners. LSDs don't normally do that do they? Also I have pics posted here.

Somewhere in GA there is (I hope still) another proud Scarab owner who bought my kit and drivetrain from me in Orlando in '1981. YEA, 1981! If you recall, you drove down to Orlando to pick it up from some guy (me) who needed to sell it quick to go overseas. If that person is on the forum, please identify yourself.

Guest Anonymous

Thanks for the compliments. It's kind of hard to tell from the pictures, but the car is actually dark purple. Whoever did the paint job did some pretty shoddy prep work, and it is chipping off pretty badly. I think I will be getting it painted fairly soon. I want to go black, but I might choose a color that hides flaws a little better. If I do paint it, I will definitely be cleaning up the exterior (getting rid of bling bling gold trim, for example). Actually, I already removed the rear bumper and the mirrors.

Can anybody, give me tips on how to distinguish between an lsd and a welded diff? Sorry for being a little OT.

Thanks.