HybridZ

Somewhat Stock HP Question

Guest Zachb55

Guest Zachb55

Ok my Z is going to have to remain stock for a while, with the exception of a lightly modified exhaust and aftermarket Air filters from MSA... what do you guys think this will run for a 1972 240Z, in Vic Brit the guy talks about how the 1970 had 150 hp, is this at wheels or flywheel? and then goes down at 72' because of compression ratio change, how much is it affected? what should i expect to get out of it with properly tuned SU's?

thanks alot for any info you can provide,

-Zach

The way they report HP changed from 1970 and now. One is (I think) gross and the other net HP. In 1970, then took a hand built engine, hooked it up to a dyno with no mufflers, water pump, alternator etc. etc. and measured HP. Modern ratings are based on engines taken right off the assembly line with all the accessories. It is a much more reasonable measure of HP. Plus manufactures are know to fudge the HP ratings (either up or down) for one reason or the other.

The 1970 cars did have the highest compression ratios and a different smog tune. If your exhaust still includes the stock manifolds, then the air filter and free flowing muff might buy back some of the HP the engine has lost since it is no longer new. Like Mudge said, you are probably at 130 Hp at the crank.

You might want to consider headers while you are doing your exhaust work, and an aftermarket ignition with the faster advance of the Euro distributor is also a worthwhile bolt on.

What head does it have? A good 3 angle valve job is supposed to be worth a few ponies on a Z engine according to the hotrod datsun book.

I would run a header, mild cam, exhaust and air filters with Air horns in then if you can find them. I think Z therapy says the stock air cleaner works good with a K&N, and better then an air filter without velocity stacks/airhorns.

Guest Zachb55

im not sure on what head it has, its an august 1972 model i believe so you think you would know what that is with the stock engine (im assuming its the stock one)

-Zach