HybridZ

l24 cam specs and hp question

KiD-ViD

Guest DaneL24

Some sources say a stock L24 peaked HP at 5600 RPM, other sources say HP peaked at 6000 RPM. I think torque peaked at about 4500 RPM. I have a '71 240Z with stock motor...on my tach the yellow line starts at 6500 RPM, and the redline starts at 7000 RPM. The stock cam has 248 degrees duration for both intake and exhaust. The short stroke and high rod ratio also suit the motor to high revving. They pull very well at high RPM's.

With a better cam and larger L28 valves, I don't think it would be hard to have power peak at 7000 RPM or higher in an L24.

thats my plan. I am reading alot and studing engine formulas and such so I can build a perfectly balanced and blueprinted engine. my goal is 250hp @ 7000 rpm. or maybe even 6500...im not positive yet as I havent gotten accurate numbers so I can decide on a duration that will put me in the correct range. I have been reading alot about port cfm, volumetric pressure, dynamic compression, and how to design headers for an application. it should turn out to be a worth while project :D

wow thanks that is just what I needed. speculation gives me somthing to think about while I save my money...it also keeps me from spending the money on video games and whatnot heh. thanks again guys

ps. till looking for the peak power of a stock L24...if anyone just happened to dyno theirs while it was stock that would be awesome.

Guest DaneL24

If you like the short stroke and high rod ratio of the L24, you might like a combo with L24 crank, L24 rods, and L28 pistons in an L28 block. This will give you about an extra 0.2 liters to make a short-stroke L26 and allow you to keep the L24 revving capabilities. (A regular L26 has L28 crank, L28 rods, L24 pistons in L24 block, so it has a long stroke and a narrow bore). You might want to check out my idea for a short-stroke L28: L24 crank, L20A rods, KA24 Pistons, in 3mm Overbore L28 block. You could always just have a properly balanced L28 shortblock and it would rev just fine and make lots of torque.

Also, unless you are going turbo, increase the compression ratio, it will increase torque across the powerband and allow you to use a bigger cam and still keep decent cylinder PSI, as well as low RPM response...and you will need that big cam for high RPMs.

I wanted to build an engine like that and turbo it, except bore it out to 89mm, which I think would get me back close to a 2.8.

I don't think it would work well in my ZX thought. To heavy.

If someone goes that route, I would really like to hear the results.