HybridZ

What's a dual port wastegate actuator for?

jgkurz

On duel port WG actualator, you can hook the boost controller on the second nipple and keep the original boost signal on the other one. Suppose to keep the WG from opening too early (creep) More adjustablity too with the boost controller. Lockjaw got one, he said it works real well on his car.

If you are using the stock WG actuator on a stock turbo, I would guess TEP could make you a bracket. Mine cost 150 with the bracket, and I had to send them the turbo clocked so they could make it. (t3/t4 hybrid)

I made my own bracket with this turbo, and it is not as pretty, but heh, function over form, right?

I use it as YO2001 said, and it works well. The actuator itself is adjustable, in that the rod is threaded, and then I use the Manual Boost Controller to introduce boost to the bottom port to raise the boost, say when I am at the track. I guess I could buy a nice electronic one, but just have never done it.

This one is also heavier duty then the stock one.

Lockjaw, Do you know if your dual port actuator is from another car or is it an aftermarket unit? I might try and fabricate my own setup.

Also, I do have a T3/4 hybrid (JWT Sport 400) with stock single port.

Did you notice an immediate difference with the dual port?

Thanks

Yes it is an aftermarket unit, and you can buy it separately, and I don't think it is to expensive, like less the a 100 bucks when I bought it.

You can make your own bracket, it is not to bad, just make sure to space it right so it doesn't interfere with your compressor outlet.

I noticed a nice difference on my last hybrid. It was a stage III turbine in a .63 housing with an H3 compressor, and it spooled up really fast. Since the sport 450 has the stage V turbine, I am still playing with it. I suspect my WG actuator rod needs to be shortened a little, so I can put more pressure on the swing valve.

Either way, I think with some play time with it I can get it to really improve, although I doubt I will have the response of the stage III with the stage V, but it is pretty close. I notice more of a difference on the interestate in 5th gear, where at 3000 rpms, with the old turbo, whatever boost I wanted was there, it is not with the stage V, yet. Still working on that.

I will say this, the sport 450 is a hoss. I like it.