HybridZ

NEED HELP! LOUD NOISE FROM REAR OF CAR!

Guest 1320the260

Guest 1320the260

ok i have a 260Z, 4 speed. i just bought it today. it ran fine all the way home (72 miles!) but when i got home i went to take my brother for a ride in the car. i revved first gear kinda high and shifted hard into second then... BOOM! clunk clunk clunk clunk. luckaily i was no more than half a block away from home. but what do you think this problem could be? i'm thinking U joint or the rear Diff. luckaily i have another 260Z that has a bad motor (thats what my friend said) and a good 5 speed tranny. but i don't think the driveshaft will work because the 5 speed car is a 2+2. is there anything i should know before swapping the trannies? i might as well change the transmission if i am gonna possibly drop the rear end as well huh? :)

BTW, i bought the 2 seater Z for 850 bucks, i got my 2+2 for 120. all today! hehe. a 302 swap will be soon, thank god i live a few blocks from mr jon miwa (jumbo240Z) and i'm real good friends with his son. :)

HI JON!

Guest 1320the260

well it looks like the axles coming directly off of the pumpkin are hitting on something.... thats the best i can come up with. i went out and bought a big ole 3 1/2 ton jack and i jacked that sucker up. it looks like its hella worn on those parts like they are hitting something.... what do i need to swap the rear ends out and the transmissions? i'm also in the process of stripping all of the surface rust and applying a lot of coats of "hot rod black" primer. hehe

Guest 1320the260
:-D thank you! i am in the process of body work/prep work so i'm not having to drive the car just yet. i will take pictures of everything underneith both cars and post it. i will most likely use everything from my donor car.