HybridZ

computer trouble for 83 turbo motor

rayaapp2

:?: Do I have to use the computer from the turbo motor or can I use any of the computers for the L6 motors? I ask because I am in the middle of getting a really cheap turbo motor and just found out along with the seller he has the computer to a 77'. Also I am looking for a maf I heard that needs to be from a turbo as well.

The NA computer is not going to put out the proper fuel, and the turbo computer controlls the timing on the turbo setup, NA timing is not going to be suitable unless you figure out a retard mechanism - but then you still have the fuel problem.

The wiring harness for the FI is also different between both cars, pin out is also different between 81 Turbo and 82/83 Turbo.

There is no MAF except on later cars, the AFM may be turbo specific though, I think it is but not sure.

Make sure you get the coil and bracket for the Turbo car also, otherwise you are probably going to spend $100 to get one, or you'd have to look into an aftermarket ignition setup as I am going to do. Dont forget the fuel pump as well, unless you already have an FI car, supposedly its sufficient.

81 pinout slightly different, i believe afm is same for all years though.

ive interchanged them with no neg results

best bet is to get a matching:

afm,

harness

dist

ecu81 only diff is that it uses external CAS, which isnt bad either once you get it dialed in, i had one when i first started and it was fine, but converted later to internal for looks.

to make it simpler and avoid errors to begin with i suggest getting everythign matching altogether.

i would get a new fuel pump, the one from teh car has likely seen the worst the 80s had to offer.

just about everythign efi specific is also turbo specific, and to be safe, dont interchange much until you get the car running, this is key.

hope this helps.

Len