HybridZ

93 LT1 computer tuning.....

Ok I was wondering if you guys could answer some questions about my computer tuning needs?

I am wondering exactly what goes into the CHIP for my 93 LT1 computer? The reason I ask is because I already have a chip in it that is not factory. It was modified by Street & Performance for Darius's Supercharged LT1. Do I need a new chip? Is there fuel programming on that chip or just emmissions, rev limiter, speed limiter, etc? In other words non specfic engine stuff like the size of the cam, injector size, Throttle body size, etc?

You guys know what I mean?

Thanks,

Guy

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I doubt you will be able to use that PROM.

The enrichment and ignition advance tables are stored in that bugger, and I'd bet they are quite different for a supercharged motor.

The upside is that it will probably run on your motor, it just won't make good power until tuned.

From the boot code, to the fuel and ignition, is all on the chip. Once you burn an EPROM its no longer really useable, you can make a read on it and then make your changes - but thats the advantage of EEPROM, no removal hassle and no burning equipment costs either.

Being that there is only one removable "chip" it should be sorta obvious everything is on there :)

Nope, unfortunately tuning is not so simple as automatic VE adjustments to get BLMs to 128, nor do you punch in cam specs, I only WISH it were so easy.

Are you going to stay SD or go MAF? You can program a 94/95 to stay SD but you get the EEPROM that way, no removing the computer constantly :) I've probably flashed around 170 times and had 2 close calls, one advantage to the 93 I guess is if you have an incomplete burn, you lose a chip, you dont have to send the PCM out to get repaired (or a dealership can flash a stock program for you).

Yeah I am going to stay with the SD. I didnt know you could have a 94/95 computer programmed for SD. I might do that later. But for now I am just going to get a chip I guess. I was thinking of ordering through Street and Performance. It costs $200 for a chip from them. Anybody know of anywhere else I can get a chip for my computer for a cheaper price? I also want the people doing the programming to know what they are doing though! I would rather pay someone $200 to do it right and the best way possible than to pay someone $50 to do a crappy job.

Guy

Guest Your Car is Slow

Quite a few places these days will burn you a new chip for alot less than that.

Ed Wright @ fastchips is one (dont recall what he charges)

There are a few people on ebay who claim they will send you a programmed chip of your choice for whatever you win the auction for.

Couple more people on CamaroZ28.com that also burn chips for people.

Ed Wright has about the most experience, he locks some of his programs on other computers which I'm not fond of, but he has every right.

http://www.pcmforless.com is one, I believe MustGoFaster is out of biz, he seemed like a nice guy.

http://www.tunercat.com/tnr_desc/links.html

I am an advocate against mail order tuning, but when you have the chip situation maybe its the way to go. I think you can get a used chip programmer for around $100 though, then the cable $65 or build yourself, Tunercat $89, and get a couple dozen or so EPROMs.

Guest Your Car is Slow

hehe...Dave Harris started Mustgofaster here in town...was a local Fbody guy.

I think he still does burning...but perhaps at his shop and no longer under the MGF moniker.

Some of this "programs" were a bit questionable (removing the revlimiter...limiting the amount of retard the ecu can pull when detecting knock etc).

Guest Your Car is Slow

Yea...just speaking out loud....two of my friends got his tuning...both are currently rebuilding their motors.

Both cars reporting the motors "shutting off" upon somehow hitting the 7k limit. :shock:

I have seen some lame tunes, and I'm not even talking mail order. I saw a guys solid roller setup, "professionally dyno tuned" and his AF was around 14.2:1 @ WOT in the highest RPM range, I got mine near dead even after 3 pulls :roll: while thier curve, has too many curves :D

Shutting off after 7k? That sounds wierd, the default method is to bring back the fuel after 50 RPM, if they were blown/turblow/nitrous then that could result in engine failure if its hitting with spark but "no fuel" in the cylinders :shock: If those are 94/95 guys I'd like to see the tune and thier dyno sheets, if they feel like exploring the curious reasons why.

On my 97 Cobra, the method was much different - you would not get power back until you hit something like 2k RPM, I forget what it was, but woe to he who hits the limiter in a corner!

According to their site they charge $350 for a chip! That is just rediculous! I could buy a used 94/95 computer$100) and have some one flash it for me with new programming($100) for wayless. I think I will just go with Street & Performance for my chip. I know they will do a good job.

Guy