HybridZ

VG30 ign module on 82ZXT?

Mudge

I am looking at a graciously donated VG30 ignition module, in hopes that it might work on my 82 ZXT car. I see that GB goes to pin 5, Blue goes to pin3 and coil ground.

My question, is what goes to GB (pin 5)? Is it a pulsed signal, or is it simply 12v+?

On the 82 turbo, blue goes to coil negative, and its triggered by a ground signal from pin 5 YW, on this other input area (t connector) + from a switched source (key on power) provides the + juice. BW goes to + on the coil thereafter.

On the schematic for an 84, GB goes to pin 5 but pin 34 is (GW) which is providing + to the coil. Anyone know whats going on at pin 5 and 34? Are they plain jane positive?

Mudge, if you can't get an ignition signal out of your 280ZXT computer, the Z31 won't help. It is very close to the same ECU setup. I am using the Z31 coil and trigger - it's not an ignition module, as such, but just a coil and trigger like your ECU.

I have an ignition signal, just no spark. I also have both of my distributor signals...

No worries then! Use the Z31 coil and trigger - I like it better, and you don't have to worry about the +coil feedback to the ECU - just hook up the ignition signal, a good ground, and the black/white power wire.

Sleeper I'm lost here, transistor trigger? The trigger as I know it comes right off the ECU??? Positive to key on power, and the negative transistor wire goes to the ECU YW pin 5.

Since timing and fuel are related to the distributor, is that what you mean? I see it looks very different, although it may well have changed two times or so during the 300ZX reign.

It sounds like semantics differences here to me. You said you had an ignition SIGNAL to drive the ignition. That comes from the ECU which controls spark advance. When you said you had this signal, and the 280ZXT coil/transistor was not working, I affirmed the Z31 coil/transistor will work. When I say TRIGGER, I am talking about the transistor driver near the coil.

Some of your earlier posts indicated that you did not have a signal from your 280ZXT ECU to drive the coil, in which case it won't matter what coil/transistor you have, you have no signal to drive it. Then you either have to repair the ECU, or run a stand-alone ignition that controls your spark advance. The Z31 ECCS system is very similar to the 280ZXT ECCS.

Yep, someone was nice enough to send me an Excel spreadsheet of the differences in pinouts for the 300ZXT.

The signal that I see with my DVM when turning the diz by hand, at pin #5 ground is a standard 12v or so (other lead on + obviously), and when rotating the diz it periodically drops down to about 4.5v, since my DVM can only sample a couple frames a second my resolution is pretty poor. I tried turning the diz at various speeds, as slow as only firing the injectors (click click) every 2 seconds or so.

So, while I wouldn't be supprised if a working ignition module didn't fix my problems, I see nothing else that I can point at to see that the car would not have ignition. I see zero ignition inhibitors (key goes straight to the transistor), and my other known inhibitor is grounded, which I can only see affecting fuel anyway - and my pump is wired seperately. My ECU "boot" voltage even is correct, only at START and not RUN.

What I was planning without the coil is getting an older diz and running my HEI setup and/or an MSD, if I can figure how to disable the advance of course on the earlier diz while still making it run decently down low. For the vacuum stuff I imagine this is pretty easy, but I dont know what the timing map is supposed to look like for the turbo car, I only know the generic pull 2º for each 1psi rule.

Any thoughts on the diz issue and just going HEI? Alternative is getting a mag-trigger diz and MSD style setup with boost retard, or again unhooking the advance, I'm so used to full maps though that I'm old-car-stoopid.

I've got some parts coming for the upcoming Megajolt Jr (Ford EDIS), but that may be awhile off.