HybridZ

3:70 lsd

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I am getting rear end whining on my rear end when accelerating but none when slowing down my diff is a 3:70 lsd out of a 89 300zxt I am running 225/50/15 yoko's tires also where or who makes aftermarket driveshafts with changeable ujoints for a 77 280z thanks for any help

HI Peter,

Wow, it's been a long time since I saw you post.

Did you change the pinion flange when you installed it? I'm wondering

if the crush sleeve and pinion bearings didn't get pre loaded correctly if that's so. I've heard this can be a problem when changing a flange.

BTW, do you have any pics of your car?

Guest 3154tm

this is not the first time this problem has come up. does anyone out there have a repair operations manual that would show the correct procedure for r and r of the pinion flange and seal? is it simply a matter of replacing the crush sleeve and pinion nut and retorque to the correct spec? or something else. for driveshaft info try drivetrain.com. there in las vegas. thanks.

frank

Nissan does not use a [replaceable] "crush sleeve" to set the pinion bearing pre-load on the R200 diffs. This seems to be a commonly misunderstood fact about these rear ends.

The "crush sleeve" method of setting pinion pre-load is commonly used in Detroit differentials so people just tend to assume that this is the only way to accomplish this.

Nissan uses a fixed-length collar with a certain thickness shim to set the pinion bearing pre-load. As this fixed-length collar has a similar appearance to a "crush sleeve", the rumor persists.

Indeed, when replacing the input flange and/or the pinion seal all you have to do to re-torque the flange nut correctly. This can be also be verified by reading the Nissan factory manual. Replacement of the flange nut is recommended because it is a lock-nut.

I always record the force to requires to rotate the input shaft before I remove the flange nut (with an inch-pound wrench). Afterwards, I check it to see if it has changed. It's not exactly the same as measuring the pre-load, but it's better than nothing.

Guest 3154tm

zxgts-4,

thanks! most helpful. couldn't find an after market manual for the z32 anywhere and the dealer would have wanted a fortune for it.

frank