HybridZ

What do you guys think of 2nd gen rx7's?

Guest Damn Cracker

Guest Damn Cracker

I'm looking for a cheap performance car, and have pretty much narrowed it down to either a 240z or an rx-7. I was wondering if anybody has had any experience with fc's. My price range is only a couple grand, and whatever i get, i want it to handle great, which they both do, and I also want lit to be able to beat my friends new mkIII supra without too many mods. Thats were I'm undecided. An fc has more power, at least if i can afford a turbo edition, and from what i hear the 13b responds very well to modifications. But 240's are also old enough so they don't need to pass smog here in california, so i could drop in a small block or something if i can find one cheap.

Guest polarity

dont know where your located but my brother has an 89 rx-7 gtu for sale right now. interior is almost perfect. body is good (no rust or anything but there is a good size dent in 1 fender where they were pulling it onto a truck) and the engine needs work (it runs, but has some problems) i'm in jackson, Ms..

let me know if your interested he is letting it go pretty cheap

Billy

Find a cheap FC and go hybrid with it...

http://www.grannysspeedshop.com

My brother has been considering doing it for quite some time as a low buck project, but he hasn't been able to find a 2nd gen for under 800 bucks around here yet. From what I understand their kit is a quality product, they had some complaints, but I believe they were with the 3rd gen kits.

Excellent cars that do well for V8 conversions. They are more modern then a 240Z and much more comfortable. I like the Z car because it is truly a classic and has that "raw" feel to it like an old hot rod. Just a preference I guess.

Davy

I have a 2nd gen RX-7 convertible. It handles nicely and is my daily summer beater with 160,000 miles on it with basically minimal maintenance.

While I love it - I will be happy to ditch it when the VR is done. The parts seem to kill me and I have a hard time getting them. Part of it is the convertible and part of it is that I am/was in Minnesota. Just not enough of them here to get stuff for them and a bunch of the stuff I bought from internet users had the same problems my old part had.

It is only the little stupid things that have gone bad - windshield wiper switch, power windows and door lock switches, ECU, basically anything electrical.

Just my $.02.

Teo

From a crash rollover standpoint they do well. My little brother rolled one four times and it did very well in that accident. As for modifying them, they don't do well without some upgrades... The rears are NOT sturdy for added HP and the T2 motors don't do well with added boost... I personally like the body style.

Mike :D

Guest Damn Cracker

I'm not buying anything yet, the earliest I plan on actualy getting the car is this summer. About how much HP will a lightly modified z make? say new carbs, intake, and exhaust.