HybridZ

Neapco flange adapter problem?

80LS1T

Well I got the Neapco flange adapter for my driveshaft today so that I could measure the length that I need. I have an 82 ZXT R200. Now I dont know if I have a problem or not...

On the back of the flange there is a ring that is raised above the rest surface of the back about 1/16". So it doesnt sit flat against the R200 yoke flange. Is this a problem? If so what can I do?

Also do they make u-joints with 2 differnt size caps on 1 u-joint? Like the driveshaft caps on the u-joints need to be a little bit bigger that the ones for the Neapco flange. You know what I mean?

Guy

Well I just looked again. The flange on the differental only has the 2" pilot hole. The Neapco flange has the 2.25" raised lip.

Now here's my next question...

Will the pinion flange on my R180 differental fit on my R200? Or are there a different amount of splines on them?

Thanks,

Guy

Well I finally got the R180 pinion flange off but I can't seem to bust the R200 flange loose from the differental. I have an impact wrench but it is only rated to like 200ft. lbs. :cry: I really need to invest in a new Thunder Gun! 600ft lbs :shock: would do the job! :D

I just want to know if these 2 flanges will swap with each other???

Guy

Yeah unfortunatly you are right Dave. :cry: I just came in from the garage. I finally got the pinion flange off the R200 and soon found out that they are not the same. I knew it would be a long shot but I had to try!

So now what is my next step? Does anybody have a pinion flange that has the 2.25" pilot hole that they would like to sell me? I really really need some help with this little problem I suddenly got!

Thanks,

Guy

The driveshaft flange bolts to the Z Car differential and uses a Dana #1310 U-joint, which was commonly used on most Chevrolets in the 1960s and through the early 1970s. The pilot diameter on the flange is 2.25 inches in diameter. All 1970-1978 Z Cars came with the 2.25" pilot diameter. Later (ZX) cars came with either a 2.25" or 2.00" pilot diameter. If the differential has the 2.00" pilot, the pinion flange will need to be changed to one with a 2.25" pilot.

I found this on the JTR site underneath the parts list. I am planning on doing this swap in the future so this topic is of intrest to me. Guy hope this helps and good luck. Can't wait to see it melting rubber. :D

Jason

Well since I am having no luck finding a 2.25" pilot hole pinion flange for my R200, I went and had my 2.00" modified to fit with neapco flange adaper. I had the pilot hole bored out to 2.25" and the 4 bolt hole elongated so that the neapco holes would line up with the pinion holes.

So Monday I am taking my driveshaft in finally! :D I have been trying to get my driveshaft dont for like 2 weeks!

Guy

Well I would be more than happy to update my pic but I don't know what I can put for an update? Not much has been happening lately other than finally getting my driveshaft ready to go to the machine shop.

I could put a pic of my unfinished driveshaft in there? LOL :lol:

Guy

• 1 year later...
Well since I am having no luck finding a 2.25" pilot hole pinion flange for my R200' date=' I went and had my 2.00" modified to fit with neapco flange adaper. I had the pilot hole bored out to 2.25" and the 4 bolt hole elongated so that the neapco holes would line up with the pinion holes.

So Monday I am taking my driveshaft in finally! :D I have been trying to get my driveshaft dont for like 2 weeks!

Guy[/quote']

I think I am going to do the same thing to my '75 R200 flange.

Hey Guy, did you use the 8mm or 10mm (5/16 or 3/8) bolts to fasten the flanges together?

Mine came with 10mm bolts stock, I've reading that most '76-'78+ cars used 8mm bolts.

JTR sells those, part # DAT-110 : https://shell7.tdl.com/~jags/Pages/Parts_DAT200.html

"The driveshaft flange bolts to the Z Car differential and uses a Dana #1310 U-joint, which was commonly used on most Chevrolets in the 1960s and through the early 1970s. The pilot diameter on the flange is 2.25 inches in diameter. All 1970-1978 Z Cars came with the 2.25" pilot diameter. Later (ZX) cars came with either a 2.25" or 2.00" pilot diameter. If the differential has the 2.00" pilot, the pinion flange will need to be changed to one with a 2.25" pilot."

Hey Mike. I am sure you a trying to help (thanks!!), but I am not sure what you are trying to tell me.

I already have the whole JTR conversion kit, including the u-joint (neapco??) adapter. It doesn't fit my '75 280z's R-200 flange because my flange measures 2.00", despite the claim from JTR: "ALL 1970-1978 Z Cars came with the 2.25" pilot diameter."

I know it came this way from the factory because I have known the car its whole life.

So, I think I am going to have my flange cut/modified like Guy did to his so that it will work with the supplied part.

I was thinking you need the adaptor :roll: This part is your problem :

"Later (ZX) cars came with either a 2.25" or 2.00" pilot diameter. If the differential has the 2.00" pilot, the pinion flange will need to be changed to one with a 2.25" pilot"

But I take it there is a problem finding one. In that case if 80LT1 solution works, go for it!

I was thinking you need the adaptor :roll: This part is your problem :

"Later (ZX) cars came with either a 2.25" or 2.00" pilot diameter. If the differential has the 2.00" pilot' date=' the pinion flange will need to be changed to one with a 2.25" pilot"

But I take it there is a problem finding one. In that case if 80LT1 solution works, go for it![/quote']

I just got back from the machine shop and he says its not going to be a problem. Same guy that made my shifter plate/hole cover, dash gauge plate, and my driveshaft.

Sorry I didnt answer. With out being notified by the site when a post is made its hard to keep up with older posts like this one.

Yeah I have had my modified flange on my car for 2 summers now and it is one thing that hasnt given me a problem. I cant remember what king of bolts I have. I know they are hardend but they are not original bolts.

I too could not find a flange that would work and this solution seems to be working just fine! Tje big problem with find a flange is trying to get the seller to just sell the flange! Once that flange is off the diff. no one wants to buy it. I wasnt about to buy a whole diff just for that flange!

Guy

• 6 months later...

i know this is an old post but i think something may have been overlooked as a simple answer. on the JTR webiste i read:

Driveshaft adapter flange note:

The driveshaft flanges that bolt to the Z Car differential and uses a Dana #1310 U-joint, which was commonly used on most Chevrolets in the 1960s and through the early 1970s.

The pilot diameter on the DAT-110 flange is 2.25 inches in diameter. All 1970-1978 Z Cars (except 1975 models) came with the 2.25" pilot diameter.

1975 Z cars, and 1979-1983 (ZX) cars came with either a 2.25" or 2.00" pilot diameter. If the differential has the 2.00" pilot, use DAT-110-2.0 ($65).

does the one for the 2" pilot not use the large u-joint? it looks as though they provide a flange for either.

please help as i am getting close to a puchase of R200 that has the 2"