HybridZ

Just introducing ........

MAYHEM

I guess I should introduce myself. I've posted here before but never really said "Hi". I'm an avid auto/aircraft buff. I'm retired from the USAF last year, aircraft supervisor for F-4 Phantoms and the F-15's Eagles. I lived in Europe for 14 yrs.

I just purchased an '77 280z, with 5 speed. I cranked her up yesterday after I blew out the tank and changed the filters and oil. She started with no drama after sitting since '99. I let her run for a while to see what working and what not before I do the big tear down. So far the turn signal flasher is a no go. The only real rust issue is the right rocker panel. I need to swap that one out. The gentleman how sold me the car already put on lowering springs and stainless steel brake lines, and huge front and rear swaybars. ;). He also threw in extra doors , and wiring harness from nose to tail. ALL new gauges, extra seats, entire air conditioning items and a buttload of other stuff.

I was going to swap out the L motor for a V8 but I think I keep this engine for now, for two reasons.

1) EPA and sniff test starting here in 2005.

2) I'm not the familiar with this car as she sits , so I'm welcoming the learning curve/challenge. ;)

Things I'll be doing is removing the motor and tranny the entire suspension, body work ( those Godzilla sized nail clippers for bumper have to go), upgrading the engine (as far as I can go) brakes and wiring.(I'll go more in detail as I get there).

Considering I only paid 250.00 for her and that I'm not on a time schedule I hope everything turns out OK. I well be posting my progress.

And yes... I will do a search before I ask a question.

Now let's see if I can post a pic.

post-10-29168-HOME.jpg

post-10-29337-April_23__2003__2_.jpg

Well, how about a formal welcome to the forum?

Welcome! :D

If you want something that is smog legal with a greater power potential then the NA motor, go turbo. Get a 280ZX motor & tranny and swap it all over with the smog stuff. Build on it from there and have plenty of fun! Once you start messing with the NA motor, you have just gone outside of EPA regs anyway, so you might as well start with a legal turbo motor.

BTW, I would have a hard time believing that another state would out reg California as far as emissions testing/regs, so if you want a V8, swap in an LT1 with the smog stuff---that should be legal and have buttloads of power too. Just a thought.

Davy

I'm not sure about your budget and all, but I'd like to offer up a few uneducated ideas.

Brakes: If you are planning on upgrading beyond some mods to stock, I'd look into http://www.jskinnovations.com/. They are going to make some mounting stuff for Wilwood calipers and two piece rotors. It should be resonably priced too. If that is out of reach, you may want to look into Toyota 4 piston calipers. There are some rear disc brake setups that you may want to look into too. 240SX stuff swaps over with a bracket.

Motor: A turbo 280ZX motor is always a possiblity. Very many have done it and you can get donor cars for relatively cheap. You can also get the stronger differential, CV half shafts (and an adapter to use them), and some brake stuff off the car. If you'd like to do a V8, as Davy said, look into the LT1.

I'll see what else I can come with and post that later. Maybe if I get a site going soon, I'll get my 50 billion links up.

With that all being said, welcome to the site and enjoy your Z.

BTW' date=' I would have a hard time believing that another state would out reg California as far as emissions testing/regs, so if you want a V8, swap in an LT1 with the smog stuff---that should be legal and have buttloads of power too. Just a thought.

Davy[/quote']

Thanks DavyZ, before I jump into it I'm going to get the full scoop from the DMV officer, that way I'm covered. :wink:

moridin2004, thanks for the link. Budget wise, since this is going to be a hobby, I'll save if there is somethigs I want. Come to think of it, one of my customes has a LT1 and tranny in is garage.

BTW' date=' I would have a hard time believing that another state would out reg California as far as emissions testing/regs, so if you want a V8, swap in an LT1 with the smog stuff---that should be legal and have buttloads of power too. Just a thought.

Davy[/quote']

You were right Davy Z, I gave them a call, the only thing I'm going to need is at least a EGR.That about in a nut shell. :-D

Also get this ad, about the Areokit. this is same gentleman I got the car from, http://www.trianglezclub.com/. under the 240,260,280 section.

I shot him a E, in 'bout 0.01 seconds and he still has the set. There just about mine. Just need to drive 3 ish hours to get them. :D Dang !!! I lucked out.

V8 + big cam = natural EGR :D

So true, the Officer said by the time the sniff law gets here ( Jan-2005), I would be exempt. But the EGR is a must since the car came with one. And the V-8 I out in it will need at least a EGR. I'm thinking of which way to go Mudge. V-8 or not to V-8.

Hi 'ya, Cruez. Goldsboro 8)

I checked out your site. Looks good. As does your '77. Question Cruez

, are you running a stock ignition? I'm looking at upgrading, but there seems to be a wide range of views if it's worth it or not on some zee's