HybridZ

LSD question

Guest cowboy6280

Guest cowboy6280

I have a question regarding a differential from a '90 300zx non-turbo, the guy says its lsd. I havent seen it in person yet or any pics and my question is... could this be a R230? and would it be lsd? I have a '77 280z and was wondering how difficult the swap would be. New to the z-thing and learning as I go. thanks

300ZX non-turbo has the redesigned r200. It is a LSD.

Difficulty Level: Medium. Alot of work to do.

Need to shorten the halfshafts.

Fab up a front mount bracket.

Drill holes in the mustache bar.

Make adapters to connect the companion flange to the halfshaft.

longer driveshaft needed.

FYI, an r230 requires the same amount of work.

Sean 8)

My take is this, pull your guts out of the R-200 you are currently running and install the LSD unit from the R-200 300ZX. This would eliminate the need for major mod work. Using a five point scale determination of difficulty, personnaly I would rank this level of mod that top fuel ZX lists as difficult (4) as it requires more than a basic set of hand tools, but requires drilling, presicion measuring, welding, and such. For his skill level that may be medium (3 or 2) for the rest of us bone heads that is would be much higher. Your R-200 ring gear is most likely a 10mm bolt where as the 300ZX is 12mm. Contact MM for bushing or your local machists, for installig the LSD carrier with the smaller bolt hole ring gear. Installing the LSD carrier would be in the medium to moderate range (2 or 3) as you do need to set the gear backlash and bearing preload, which requires a dial indicator and magnetic base. Still not easy. BUT what is easy is taking both differentials to your local differential shop and pay them to do the hard work, leaving the easy work for you...Remove, replace, and reinstall. Mike

Guest cowboy6280

Hey thanks y'all for the info/advice. I like to think I'm pretty mechanically inclined, the mods mentioned dont scare me. Its only time and money - the time doesnt bother me as much as the money - but if I learn something along the way it eases the pain a little (not much but a little). Think I may look more into the internal swap.

What would y'all say would be the best/easiest rear end set-up having lsd and 5 lugs disc brakes in a '77 280z? Is there something from a later yr that I can just make some mods to and put in the entire rear? (without doing radical mods that is) thanks much :?

Rear five lug is not such a bolt on item, there are ways to do it though. Easiest is have the old five lub stub axle modified to five lug. MM does this work or you may find a machinest that is willing to do the work for you. You could machine the five lug stub axle to fit the four lug bearings but the stub axle is hardened steel so you may have issues with that. Also the companion flange spline pattern may be different. Some here have posted solution on the five lug conversion you may want to do a search and see what you can find. As for the LSD, swapping the guts I think is easiest. If you go and buy an LSD that is what you would have to do anyway. There is no difference between the carrier and the LSD as far as dimentional measurements, bearing diameter and ring gear dimentions for example. The only difference is in the ring gear bolt size and the hole for the bolts, either 10mm or 12mm bolts are used to attache the ring gear to the carrier. Again if you run into this 12mm carrier with 10mm ring gear get some bushings made. Anything after 1984 in the Z car version is 12mm and 1986 in other Nissan products (that I've seen).The only other consideration is the ratio which hasen't been addressed here yet.

Ratio Stamp Speedo Gear Tooth count R-200

3.364 37:11 Yellow 16 280Z 2+2 (4 sp)

3.545 39:11 Black 17 280Z (M)

3.700 37:10 Blue 18 280ZX 6/78-6/79 2+2 (M)

3.900 39:10 White 19 280ZX (M) 80-83 200SXT 84

4.111 37:9 Red 20 200SXT 85-86

Hope this helps a bit, not 100% complete but a good start.

Mike

Guest cowboy6280

:2thumbs: Thanks for the Info!

Sounds like the internal swap is going to be my best bet. I wasa thinking about going with 3.7 on the gear ratio. I have a T56 that is in the building plans. Will do a search on the 5 lug option and see what i can find. Will also check with MM on that subject. I have a low mileage '96 LT1 with aluminum heads that I have sitting in my garage. Was thinking about building a 4.3l V6 in place of the LT1. I know its not a V8, but its going to be a driver and not a race car. Thanks again for the info!

-Mike

• 3 weeks later...