HybridZ

Tuning my new MAF and injectors - going well!

SleeperZ

Got my new air filter on last night, and I've been driving the freeways doing 3rd and 4th gear pulls. I wish my EGT was working, and I also WISH I had a wideband O2, but I am making do so far.

I have a new fuel rail with 370cc SVO injectors and a Z31 ECU (stock '86 turbo) with a MAF element installed in a 3-1/2" intake pipe. I'm running 45psi base fuel pressure (a little more than I calculated would be necessary) and it seems to be running a little rich at idle and WOT, low boost. So a little extra is a good thing for testing.

I cranked it up and pulled 16 psi boost (that's 14 psi for you sea level folks), and it pulls like a frickin' train! However, with the boost set solidly, as RPMs rise to 5000 and a little past, my fuel pressure is starting to drop (I need a gauge that reads more than 60psi!). So I back out of it.

I will wire in a second Bosch high pressure pump, and possibly install the largest orifice in the AEM FPR to accomodate the extra flow down low. But at this point I am calling the winter OVER, and I am almost ready to take it to the strip~! Once the second pump is in, I hope to get the boost up to 18-20 psi this year.

:cheers:

18-20psi, I'm going to have to see your car

:rockon:

I'll be up in Denver on Saturday May 17th, if your not too busy maybe I can come buy and check it out. Sounds like things are going good for you on the upgrade. Should be awesome.

Maybe you need one good pump. I use the peirburg from Cartech, and it seems to deal with higher pressures just fine.

I am on a 4 bar map, and I am not having a problem at 15 psi of boost. When I was adjusting the FPR, I had it a "little" to tight, and it went right off my gauge, and it didn't faze it.

You could also check to make sure your wiring is up to snuff, and you have a good ground. The factory wiring, especially the ground.

I am sure you know about all that, but I thought I would check to make sure.

I would like to see what you run on that set-up, and could you email me a pic of the MAF arrangement?

I cut off 2/3 of the metal housing, and shaped the 3-1/2" mandrel bent 45* piece to fit it. The hot wire was still a little close to the side of the pipe for my taste, so I spaced it out further into the center, and extended the leads of the thing so it would solder up to the circuit card. It's not perfectly centered, but not bad. I thought about screening it, but I got too lazy. My first drive with the thing, my air filter was too low to the ground and fell off after hitting something. I guess I got lucky nothing came into the MAF (or my turbo!), but the intercooler should give marginal protection for the engine against debris. Hence, the new higher flowing K&N :D