HybridZ

What does LOCKUP mean to a 200R4, links anyone??

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I'm going to be running my Z on the turnpike and that means 90+ mph for at least 45 minutes a day. I've been very seriosly considering a th350 but recently read an article in a HOTROD about the 200R4. Man, gotta love overdrive! (actually I had purchased a 302 and C4from a friend for CHEAP, but a friend who will be instrumental in the swap threatened to stop talking to me if I said "THOSE WORDS" :roll::roll::roll: again) SOOOOOOOOOOO

The article said that the 4R is a lockup :? . I'm not possitive what this means. They were using a little controler to lock the torqe converter in OD. When they say "lockup" do they mean like a corvette auto where it stays in OD at WOT??? OR when I reach a predetermined throttle position will my revs suddenly skyrocket :shock: like a 700R4??? If it does hold top gear then HOLY COW!!! that means 195mph at 6000rpm with 26" tires and a 3.7 rear :shock:

Guest 1320the260

a lockup converter will be like if you're in 4th cruising it should "lock up" and you'll drop a few RPMs. i would elaborate more but i can't think straight right now. lol. go do a search on google.com on lockup converters.

Lockup means no slippage, for gas milage this is a good thing, since it brings it closer to a gear to gear setup like a manual trans. A car will not stay in OD on an automatic when WOT, not likely to happen. Some people have trouble getting thier Automatic to stay in OD @ WOT, for those that might tend to want top speed type runs (not really suited for automatics).

A real drag car will not have a lockup converter, if thats what your friend is getting at.

Guest Anonymous

i have a 700r-4 in my 280z. manual lock up. it is great. turning 11's in 1/4 mile and 160 mph in 4th gear with the converter locked up. it makes the car more streetable without loosing 1/4 mile times.

There is always some slippage with a torque converter. The LU eliminates the slippage. In the TH200-4R (GN version at least), the converter gets locked in OD and at 45mph, in essence making it almost like a 5-speed. It will not lock up if accelerating hard or at WOT. However, a manual switch can be installed to lock up the converter at any time.

A real drag car will not have a lockup converter

I believe that staement needs qualifitying. My car runs 10.30s and is capable of hi-9s as it sits and I run a lockup in the 200-4R. Locking up under drag racing conditions is hard on the clutches, but converters can be built to handle it. A lighter will be easier on the clutches and so is locking up in higher RPMs. I lock mine 3 secs after the 2-3 shift which happens about 2.75 secs into the run which means I spend a little less than half the ET locked up in 3rd. If I did not I would have to shift to OD which is a .67 ratio :nono:

Ok, many of the "fast" drag cars will not have lockup converters traditionally. Example, TH400 cars, almost surely not to have a lockup, local 9 second and below with TH400s, no lockup.

You wont find 4 speed automatics on many fast drag cars, simply by virtue of weight and strength reasons.

Actually, some drag cars and a lot of circle trackers use a direct front pump drive with a valved bypass. that operates like a clutch. this saves the weight of a converter. Of course they usually do this to powerglides. Another option for a drag car is to go with a small (8") converter. I thought about doing that with my th350. but most 8" converters that I have found have a really high stall (5000 +) so I am going to just direct drive the pump. Now does anyone have any ideas on a paddle shifterthat will work on a full manual valve body?

Guest Anonymous

I'm pretty sure he means that his car shifts from 2-3 when he is 2.75 seconds into the run AND THEN THREE SECONDS LATER HE MANUALY LOCKS THE COVERTER time travel :twak: