HybridZ

Please help identify...

I got this for a deal i couldn't pass up, but now i'm not sure if it is usable or not, no big deal, i could always sell it if it won't fit. I was told it came off of a running Z car, it says 17V4 Nissan Motor on intake housing and bolts up to T3 bolt pattern. Here is a pic...

http://www.geocities.com/pmcguff/PICS/TURBO2.JPG

what is the vacuum/rod combo in lower corner? there is a wastegate bolted to the turbo already. oh yea, is there anyway to take off the intake/exhaust housing(s) and rotate it so the flanges for one or the other is in a better spot? as is, the intake air-exit-side hits the exhaust manifold when trying to bolt it up (stock L28ET manifold). Sorry for the ignorant questions, but i'm new to turbocharging.

Thanks a lot,

Patrick.

You have to drag it to the address bar.

I dont believe that downpipe will fit on a first gen Z car, and it seemed to me the second gen was even tighter in that area compared to the turbo swap in my 240Z now. The stock downpipe almost shoots straight down, where yours looks rather deep.

That might work. I had a 300ZX turbo in my 240, and it is a little longer then a stock 280ZX one. You could always put a different swing valve on it and have a machine shop fab you up a flange and make your own downpipe. I can do nissan one's for you, for a fee, say about 30 bucks shipped. That would be for two flanges.

You are likely going to have to take a few measurements to see.

I don't like the comressor outlet though. bolts suck there, but it would probably elimate the chance of it blowing off.

thanks guys, the crappy thing is my Z is at my parents house enjoying the garage...next to their new 350Z haha, but it is 4 hours away. and yea, i don't like the compressor exit either, it actually hits the exhaust manifold and i'll either need to make a spacer to bolt the turbo up, or somehow rotate the compressor housing so that isn't there anymore, and i'm not sure if that is even an option.

thanks again though for all the help.

Patrick.

You can rotate the compressor housing, which is referred to as clocking the turbo. Just loosen the bolts on the back slightly and move it. Just don't force it.

Spacing it will also work also. You may have to lengthen or replace your studs in the manifold, which is a pain. Been down that road. Just take it to a machinist.

Good luck with it. A little boost and you will be able to put it all over that 350Z.

ok...this is the back side of the compressor housing (facing the exhaust housing), there were never bolts in those two holes, should there be? it doesn't move at all though even with those holes empty. the actual impeler moves great, so i that isn't seized, could the compressor be seized and moved with a little penetrating oil?

thanks and sorry for all the questions.

Patrick.

doh, almost forgot

http://www.geocities.com/pmcguff/PICS/Turbo1.JPG

quick update, took it to the local nissan dealer and said, umm...what's this off of :? ? It is a 300ZX turbo, at least according to the picture on the scematic-looking-thing and semi-part number we read. he suggested keeping it just for the coolant hookups that he was pretty sure the early '80s turbos didn't have. but he also said the compressor housing may be seized onto the center section, hence the lack of movement. any thoughts? is there anyway to unseize if that is what is wrong?

thanks.

Patrick.