HybridZ

Quad Cam V8

RacerX

The ZR-1 Vette of the early 90s had a quad cam V8. From what I understand, it was pretty well built. I believe Porsche had one in their 928. Hmmm...I want to say Nissan has one, maybe in the newer Infinitis, maybe the FX45 or Q45. There are always the Ferraris :lol: I do know that the new generation V8 in the Cadillacs are going to be quad cam. Actually, speak of the devil, the Northstar motors are, aren't they? I know there is a company that modifies them, even has a bellhousing for a T56. CHfab, or something along those lines. Oh, lastly (and my personal affordable favorite) is the Ford Cobra motor. There is actually a 5.0 crate motor that will be available from them soon that should be putting close to 450HP out. Problem is getting the thing to go in. No one has ever tried, so you never know.

If you can get that Toyota motor for cheap, you may want to look into that. I still have to find that link for you, as I believe there is a custom bellhousing available to mate a Supra 5 speed. If this is for a high hp application, I've heard its better to go with the iron block from the Tundra.

Well, hope some of that helps. If any of this is not correct, please let me know. I'm working off memory here. Anyone that knows me, knows how well it works :bonk:

• 1 month later...

I vote for the LT5! That would be a sweet swap. It seems that the LT5 comes up every 3 months and someone wants to do it but no one wants to pony up the $$$! It would be unique thats for sure! And they made over 400 HP(pretty sure they did anyways) :twisted:

Guy

Guest Dan0myte
And they made over 400 HP(pretty sure they did anyways) :twisted:

Most are 375hp, some later versions got bumped to 405hp. In a 3500lb Corvette, it ran high 12's. Take away 1200lbs and you're doing mid 11's with traction.

lt5engine_bg.jpg

A Northstar Z would be incredible. I had a 93 STS, first year of the Northstar, and believe me that thing was pretty damn fast for a 4000 lb car. Its got the quad cam you desire, pretty compact (4.6L) plus its a nice lightweight aluminum block (just over 400 lbs) and makes enough stock power (300 hp) to have one mean Z on your hands.

engine_lg.jpg

l37curve.jpg

.., I have a facination with quad cam v8's..,

You're not the only one: they are really sweet looking engines-and are extemely efficient. 8)

Phantom and a few others are leading the way on the LS1 for the Z's; now all we need is for someone to lead the way on the DOHC engine swaps.

Kevin,

(Yea,Still an Inliner)