HybridZ

Rebuilding a Nissan 5 speed Gearbox - Tips?

260DET

Any tips for rebuilding a FS5 gearbox? The FS5 is the Nissan 5 speed box used from around '77 on. The engine puts out around 300hp so the box needs to be as heavy duty as possible.

Have considered a couple of things. Apparently NTN make ball bearings with extra balls for a higher load carrying capacity but I don't know yet whether they make them to suit this box. Any other manufacturers do likewise? SKF? Secondly, the bearings in aluminium housings tend to come loose so I was thinking about loctiting them all in as a precaution.

Finally I was considering using Redline oil, at present Shell XGO 75/90 is used.

• 3 weeks later...

The bearings are friction fit to the housings and don't require any type of Locktite....If you are spinning the outer race then you have other problems! I don't think you'll find a gearbox that requires you to adhere the bearing to the case ...

As far as selecting a bearing, one with a higher ball count may theroetically be able to carry a higher side load by spreading the load over a greater surface area, but the main concern is getting the dimensions correct for a proper friction fit on both the shaft and bearing seat. Sounds like a trial and error proposition to me at best. Go for it and reply with your results!

Some have posted using a Redline oil Vs standard gear oil in T5's and have mentioned some benefit - do a search on Redline oil and see what pops up.

Here's one thread: http://www.hybridz.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=21091&highlight=redline+oil