HybridZ

alternator upgrade

Guest kevstr

Guest kevstr

:roll: Can somebody direct me to instructions and maybe pictures of how to install a chevy one wire alternator to my 73 240? I need to get more power, installed new headlights 90/100 and boy does it pull juice!!!!!

thanks

Yeah the maxima one is nice. I have an 87 model maxima one, and it is easy to wire up, puts out 90 amps, and has an internal fan, so it just looks cleaner. They bolt right in too. Just have to swap the pulley.

A side benefit is I swear my car runs better with it then the stock 60 amp one.

isnt the late 280Z alt. internaly regulated? do you think you would have to change the wiring at all using the max. alt. in a 280Z (or a 240z with 280 wiring.) ?

I was thinking of switching to the one wire GM alt. but this sounds interesting. What are your opinions on the GM vs. the max alt.?

?

As far as an opinion, what would you rather have, a nissan or GM? I like the maxima one, and I have heard you have to get over 2k in the rpms to energize the GM one. Not to mention you have to come up with some sort of bracket to mount it.

The nissan one is a direct bolt in, and I made a little two wire harness to connect the ZX plug to the maxima alternator, and it was good to go. It is a very clean looking unit too. I hate those external fans.

I put a GM one wire 100 amp unit in my 240Z. I didn't really like it. The regulation was not as good as I expected. It was noisy too. I returned it, and now I'm running a 280ZX alternator.

Pete