HybridZ

Upgrades for 280ZX

Guest EnthuZiast

Guest EnthuZiast

I have a stock 280ZX and am planing on doing some work to her this summer. First on the list is a performance clutch (stock one is starting to slip.) So, my first question is what clutch for mild upgrades? And my second question is what upgrades for a minimal amount of $?

Thanks for your help

-EnthuZiast

Get a 2+2 or trubo flywheel and the centerforce II turbo clutch. Some of the turbo guys say the clutch is not sufficient, but should more than handle an NA motor. Find an N42 head from a 75-76 ZX to increase compression. (But only if you have an 81-83 flat top motor.) Other than that, they respond to the usual: 2 1/2" exhaust, high flow cat, low restriction muffler. I like Walker Dynomax products. Cold air kit with K&N cone filter, spiral wrapped plug wires, high output coil. Those are some of the cheap and easy mods.

I agree with the 2+2 flywheel or one from a turbo car will also be sufficient, however I would run the 84-85 300ZX turbo clutch from Nissan. It is stouter then a stock one, and will handle your mods'. Plus you should be able to get it at any nissan dealership, so if you were out and about, and your clutch broke, you would not have to mail order one.

I would start with a CAI and an exhaust system. Run a header and mandrel 2.5 in system, and you can make your own CAI. Keep it out in front of the radiator.

You can also put on a bigger throttle body and do the turbo AFM mod if you are feeling froggy. Adding the N42 head and a mild cam would round out the mods, and the car should run well.