HybridZ

Ignition or fuel problem, please help

Guest ZDreamin

Guest ZDreamin

hey all

im having some problems with my trusty Z, i am a novice and im having some troubles. im not sure what is causing them but it seems to be something related to the ignition or the fuel system in some way. the car 76 stock with 4 speed, is getting about 10mpg averaging about 70 something on the highway. but the problem is that sometimes at the worst times the car just dies, its happened twice while i was racing on a road course and needed to be pushed off!!! and it wont start back up, something the starter wont turn with the key, so i had to start it by touching my jack handle on the starter, but when it did start it would barely idle and once i pull on the throttle it dies. by the way after a while it starts with the key when its wants to, so there is another problem all together. but then i let it sit and play with stuff under the hood looking for loose connections and wiggle stuff, then it starts up fine and runs good. everything runs good til it craps out again like this past time when i would floor it nothing would happen for a few seconds and it would lurch when it did start going and like jump and have severe hesitation. one time after the hesitation and then it caught and ran fine i noticed a big black puff of smoke out my exhause. also to test things out, i would put it in neutral and the car died according to the tach.

to attempt to cure this problem, i replaced the coil, fuel filter, and plugs, while the plug wires and cap were replaced before i bought it, like i said im a novice but willing to learn and help would be appriciated.

one final thing, i saw something about using a zx dizzy but is that more intended for 240 and 260s, just wondering cause i got a 82 motor sitting with the dizzy on it, should i put it on my car

sorry for the long email

thanks

sean

Guest ZDreamin

the injectors should be good, i brought it to a local datsun mechanic a bit ago he ran injecotor cleaner through the injectors and replaced one bad injector for me so i doudt its an injector, but i could try but like i said im new at the game, could u tell me how to test the fuel preesure and also then how to test injectors, are there any good books for this, i have one dont remember which tho i think haynes

thanks

Fuel pressure regulators tend to just go out, so don't rule out fuel pressure as your culprit.

You should also check the filter located in the inlet to the fuel pump and see what is in there. You could have some trash in the tank.

The fact that you are getting 10 mpg tends to indicate a seriously rich condition.