HybridZ

R180 vs. R200 halfshafts

Clifton

Guest greimann

Don't know about the lengths, but the yokes that attach to the diffs are completely different. They might work if you swapped out the yokes.

yokes.jpg

Thanks, I knew the stub shafts were different. I have and R200 in one 240 but I put it in so long ago I can't remember if I used the stock R180 shafts, but I think I had trouble with one of the shafts being too long. I just want to have everything ready for this car so I don't have to run back and forth to the Junk yard. Also anyone know the going rate for R200 stubs. The pick & pull wanted 16.95 each + core + tax. Seemed like alot for me doing all the work.

A lot of people have been talking about this lately without any definitive answers. It seems to me that a year or two ago all this was hashed out with clear answers as to what bolts to what and what you need. I know many people here have swaped the R180 for the R200 in the '70-'78 Z's but none of them are piping up. I'm pretty sure all you need is the diff and the mustache bar as long as it came out of a 280Z. If it came out of a ZX then there are other things you need to change. Sorry, still no definitive answers.

I think sometimes when people figure out the answer to thier own problems, they dont neccessarily want to revisit it in someone elses thread :D Kind of sucks I spose. Zcar.com usually has some good stuff around, but your right it sure is confusing. Some say they are "the same" other say "no", I guess they are only partially the same which is believable. The splined shafts are not the same, so it makes sense thier attachment is different.

OK Ill pass on what I have learned on 280zx shafts non turbo.

Auto (r180) Shafts and Man (r200) according to the part Nos and confirmed by dealer are the same so in theory are they are the same length. Noting that left and right are different lengths. Also the inner joints that connect into the diff are different between r180 and r200, although the R200 joints supersede to z31 part Nos for open diffs. So you should be able to cut the inner joints off an r180 shaft and fit z31 inner joints with a new boot obviously as per service manuals instructions. So the basic idea is always get the halfshafts that come with Diff.

Just picked up z31 r200 3.54:1 with 12mm ring gear bolts so will be going down to 4x4 wrecker to check out lengths of d21pickup wd21pathfinder front shafts as the 4x4 quoted in other posts doesn't exist in Australia. Then off to get vlsd centre, should still work out cheaper than the AUD$3000 to have one made. Neil

Ok, I've posted this twice, but it probably got lost after the site was upgraded. The shafts themselves, not including any stubs outer or inner are the same between R180 and R200. Both sides are also the same. I have a set from R180 and a set from R200 and confirmed on junkyard computer(FWIW) they all call the same part number. Their ability to telescope makes up for any length difference required to fit in the car.

Now the stubs themselves that go into the diff we know are different lengths.

Now for the caveats, the R180 came out of a 4spd manual car if that matters.

http://www.geocities.com/moby_the_van/images/S_halshafts.jpeg

As Mobythevan has shown with his pics and others have stated like zxgt-4, the actual shafts of the R-180 and R-200 are the same but only if the bolt on type is used. Thanks for the pics greimann, if you start getting into the R-180 wtith the bolt on side yoke that this is another issue and, as stated the splines are not the same between the r-180 and R-200. But again if you have the side yoke R-180 best bet to get the half-shafts from the donor R-200, or at the vary least the side flange of the half-shaft.

Mike