HybridZ

Rust killer

Guest CarGuyChuck

Guest CarGuyChuck

I was talking to a guy in the shop today about spraying that black primer rust killer stuff on my car, and here is what he told me. " Rust killer only slows rust, doesn't stop it. The only way to get the job done right is to take out the engine, wires, basically everything in the car and sand it all down to bare metal, then as soon as its sanded spray it with black primer before moisture can build up. " He also mentioned swapping out all of the body pannels for fiberglass.. is there anyone who still makes fiberglass pannels for the ZX cars? If so, please send a link someone..

Swapping all of the panels for fiberglass seems a bit extreme. The Z have always been more prone to frame/floor rust than anywhere else.

If you have extensive body rust, I recomend cutting out the rust and welding in patch panels. you have to remember the Z`s are uni-bodies with no real frame. exchanging the steel structure of the body for fiberglass would certainly effect the strength and rigidity of the body.

You could also have alot of stress cracks down the road as the seams flex and the body twists.

• 1 month later...
Guest gtmattz

hi, i just got a free 78 280Z, it has some cracks in it, right in the middle of the bar above the rear windows on both sides, im working on getting some pictures up. i also have some rust, the bottom right inside of the hatch it totally rotten, but i am planning on going with a custom fiberglass hatch anyway, so that doesnt matter much (sorry, I digress ;) ), also the whole rear quarter passenger side is all big rust patches, looks like a crappy paint job gone bad. the front piece right behind the engine compartment is also all rusted. Im working on removing the engine and tranny for my v8 install, I am just hoping that the frame is not in too bad of condition. I do plan to install a roll cage and strengthen the frame where necessary, for rigidity of handling as well as hp/torque concideration. should i take this all the way down? should i just repair the damage that needs it right now, i already know i need to pull the front end apart, as the fenders have some rust that i want to repair that will be easier off the car. anyway, sorry to bomb you all with so much blabber, any comments will be appreciated (even the n00b flameZ :twisted: )

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Zachb55

i used a product called OSPHO and all you do is spray it on (its in a squirt bottle) then let it dry 24 hours and then scuff off any extra (dries into a white residue) and all metal is prepped for priming. this stuff turns rust back into normal metal. there is nothing you can do about a little rust from occuring, no matter how well you paint your car, the paint will get tiny cracks here and there and rust will grow no matter what, just a fact of life, especially in more humid climates like the southeast and northwest.

-Zach