HybridZ

LS1/LM7/GEN III

Just sold the LT1 to a friend and purchased a complete 2001 LM7 engine and 4l60E transmission with all accessories...24000 miles. :D This is a 5.4 L iron blocked GEN III truck engine rated @285HP. Does anyone know of a site that compares the differences between this GEN III and an LS1. One of the GM promotional sites touts interchangeability, but nothing specific. Are heads and intake manifolds directly interchangeable? What are the differences between the heads...are they different casting with different intake/exhaust port volumn? I know the intake are very different with the LM7 intake about 3.5 inches higher than the LS1. My measurements tell me I may need a real bulge in the hood b/4 I'm through.

gw

Ouch. You didn't read my reply to your other post? Oil pan won't work either. Heads, intake, exhaust do interchange. You apparently have not checked out http://ls1tech.com or the FAQ on http://ls1.com. Wasn't aware of a 5.4 - always heard it referred to as a 5.3 (327ci)?

Motor will be relatively heavy - compared to an LS1. Either way it's a headache to install since it's totally different from a JTR-able SBC. I dunno, seems a shame to go thru all the hassle to end up with a truck motor in your Z :roll: . It's gonna be setup for low-end torque, not a lightweight sports car.

This is not gonna be a terrible swap - but I think somewhat less than ideal. Ususally when people go to iron block it's the 6.0L and they need it for blower/turbo apps.

Jeronimo:

The nomenclature should be, I think, a 5.3...on the other hand some gentleman over on LS1.com (truck) sent me a classic frameable e-mail questioning my paternity, intelligence, and sexual preference over referring to it as a GEN III engine 5.3L.

The price for the truck engine was less than $2,000 delivered and my buddy wanted a good LT-1 for his Jag XKS (John's Jaguars kit). I calculated that by the time I purchased the Corvette bracketry and mounted the A/C compressor (A Corvette specific application) that I would be into the LT-1 another $800 and another $300 for the aluminum heads and Z3 camshaft. So, I jumped.

I read the GM.com specifications and I don't think the performance side will be any less than the LT-1. (Lt-1 260hp and LM-7 285 hp)

Three engines now and not one has been actually installed and run. I think I'm into $2500 brake jobs: You know, go in for shoes, turn the drums, and alignment and walk out with disks on all 4 sides, R200, 3 sets of Z280 stub axes , 3 sets of 280ZXT axles, both sets of Toyo front disk calipers, and it still sits in the driveway. Well hell, its genetic: my mother couldn't cook but she left about 10,000 recipes and another 150 cook books in her estate.

It is a long post. I really appreciate your note and Grumpys and other long list of links.

GW