HybridZ

T-5 to replace 700R4, how hard?

JKDGabe

Got the 700R4 now, can't stand it! The car's got the stock clutch pedal in it... how hard is it going to be to swap it? And what's the best one to put in...

I'm a good parts swapper but not a great mechanic. Have a decent shop though. Just got a mig welder today! Dang I'm happy 'bout that...

I dont think it will be that hard if you already have the pedal and hydraulics in the car. Im not sure what size of a master cylinder you have in there right now but I think most guys go with a 7/8" or 15/16".

I put a T56 in my 80' ZX that originally had a 3 speed auto. I had to put a pedal in and the hydraulics. The pedal was the hard part.

You might have to make a new tranny mount if they dont line up or modify the one you have. Also you might need to get a different driveshaft. The tailshafts might not be the same and the trannys might not be the same length. Im not sure on all of that though, but you will find out once its in there!

Guy

Naw, can't be too hard to do. You want a T5 out of a late model V8 f-body. The later years were the strongest and are designated as World Class. Kind of a grandiose designation IMO. Follow the jtr book as far as hooking up the clutch except the part were they tell you to use a 3/4" MC. Don't do it. Use a 7/8" and everything works great.

Anybody want to buy a barely used 3/4" master cylinder? :oops: