HybridZ

Couple Q's about doing a turbo engine swap!

280Zen

Ok, I have a 82 zxt coupe parts car with a good engine in it, I would like to swap that into my 83 NA, I have all the parts! BUT..... I have never done ANY real engine work. The Big question is--- How long would it take me to pull the turbo engine out and swap it into the NA? Two days? 3? a couple weekends? worse case?/best case?

I've been working on my swap for 4 months now :lol: but I've only been working on it for an hour here, hour there...my excuse was being in college until May, since then it's been cause I'm outta money and looking for a job. If this is your first big project you'll probably want some friends/family who have pulled an engine, etc. around.

If you're just going to pull the engine and drop it straight into your car, and then move the Turbo wiring harness and ECU, etc. I'd say give yourself a couple weekends at least...that way if you finish in less time you'll feel good, but if you're slow like me you won't be without a car unexpectedly for too long. I tore my engine down completely, moved it back and forth between a few different locations, and it's sat untouched in between...a LOT... :roll: I expect I can do the actual installation in a day though, since I've done that part before. I would make sure you understand ever step of what you have to do before you start taking your car apart (i.e. what wires go where, if the tranny will mount up correctly if you're using a T-5, if you're using the right driveshaft, if you have an exhaust that will fit, ...) Good luck!

Thanks, Im very sure I have everything, T5 tranny, drive shaft, exhaust system. the engine along with the ecu, wiring harness. The parts car actually could start and drive when I got it so I know everything is there and should fit. just need time and for good ole Murphy's law not rear his ugly head on me :D

I guess swapping into a 280ZX makes a couple things slightly easier :) I was thinking that for an early Zcar I might have to modify the T5 crossmember or my N/A tranny crossmember for it to bolt into my car, and I would also have to modify the T-5 driveshaft (?). I'm circumventing all that by just using my N/A transmission/driveshaft, I don't plan on sending too much power through them any time in the near future.

Anyways you seem to have it all together, you shouldn't run into too many problems. Have fun!

JMO, but I've heard it's better to keep the existing NA trans in your ZX and just swap the turbo motor, ECU, exhuast and intake, and don't forget the oil cooler....

if you use the T-5, you need to swap out the rear end as well, and the N/A tranny is smoother and plenty strong from what I understand....

good luck....

Cheers,

Ian

• 3 years later...

Why would you have to swap the rear end? I think the N/A 3.90's would be a hoot with the turbo motor. THe only diff with the rear in the 280zx (they were all R200's if they were stick) was the ratio. Turbo was 3.54 open, N/A was 3.90 open (possibly some had 4.11's but not sure) and the automatic had a 3.36 R180 (b/c an R200 with a higher ratio then 3.54 is a rare animal)

The auto needed the higher gears as it was only a 3-speed, non-lockup auto.

Besides, he said he had the WHOLE CAR, so if he wanted to swap the entire drivetrain over, he can.

I believe the halfshafts were CV type in the turbo and U-joint in the N/A but you dont need to change the rear, just pop the stubs out of the rear (held in by a c-clip) with a prybar (carefully) and swap the turbo 'shafts in.

THey only go in one way. Just make sure if your rear happens to be a 4.11 in your ZX N/A you swap the shafts from left to right. I put a 4.11 in my '78 (the rear was from an S12 200sx) and the shorter stub happened to be on the other side. It's really an easy swap (the rear) I did it in about 3 hours, which included pulling the 3.54, cleaning the 4.11, making a new rear cover gasket, installing the 4.11, filling it with oil, swapping the speedo gear, and road test.

The worst thing that you will have to do is go buy a speedo pinion for the T-5 that's a few teeth less so your speedo will read right if you retain the N/A rear, the d/s should bolt up. If the flange is different, just bolt the one from your turbo rear onto it.

I'm going to keep the 4.11's when I swap to turbo. I'll probably end up with a rubber-burning, traction limited beast but it'll be fun.

Besides, trust ME, the ZX N/A trans is NOT STRONG. My stock internally L28E with the crappy N47 head eats 'em like kids eat candy

I'm on my third tranny now. I'm keeping it when I go turbo cuz I don't have the $$$ to get a stronger tranny yet.

To prove it, I blew 2nd gear in that thing, cracked the case, and ruined the shift forks, in a car that can't even break into the 14's.

It's certainly a reliable trans (After I broke it, I drove it home- over 60 miles- with NO fluid.) Of course, I drove easy.

It's certainly not strong, though.

You're thinking of the Z32 N/A trans. Yes, those are strong.