HybridZ

intercooler size?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I have 3 eagle talon intercooler cores, that I got very cheap. My idea is to combined them. I have seen two supra cores welded together with custom endtanks and it worked good. My question is: would all 3 of the cores be to big as in turbo lag or not.

1 core measures 8 in. long, 6in. tall, and 4 in deep.

As of now my set up is a vg30 non-turbo motor(9:1 compression) stock z31 turbo, stock z31 turbo injectors, 3 inch exhuast, boost controller, and a few other small things. I dont suppose there is any kind of formula to that helps you figure how big of IC you need.. My end goal is to have something that resembles this: P2140018c.JPG

Thanks

Andy

Your pic is of a spearco 221, which is what I have, and it flows 1050 cfm at 1.5 psi of pressure drop. If you want one like that, sell the cores you have on ebay and buy one.

I am not a fan of a stock intercooler, in case you haven't noticed. My guess is you would spend more in fabrication and welding then it would take to just buy what you want, and I think you would be happier with the spearco.

You could also get a griffin from Road Race Engineering, they are the same as the spearco except they use a core like the HKS units, are not quite as thick as the speaco, but are about 450.00.

Either would be a better solution, IMO.

Good luck no matter which way you go.

The cores together would probably work fairly well. A friend of mine who drags a DSM has used his stock IC to run low 13's. So it may be restrictive, but you can get the flow out of it. But I agree with Lockjaw, those damn DSM intercoolers will go for at least $50 each on eBay - one I sold for $75. So unless you are a wizard fabricator, get a good premade IC financed by eBay. :D