HybridZ

MSD-2225 Fuel Pump question

Len

Hi

I've got a 83 280 zxt stock engine, NPR I/C, 240TB,370 injectors, 2 1/2 into 3" DP, Aeromotive FPR, stock EMS.

I ran my fuel press. gauge in the cab to ck press at boost. At 12 to 13 PSI boost Press ran about 50lbs. then slowly lowered to about say 46psi. So may try running larger guage wire to fuel pump. But really I am just posponing the enevitable. A higher volume fuel pump. SO

I'm about to buy a MSD-2225 fuel pump (best place I found was summit for $76.99 runs up to 500 hp. thanks for the idea Sleeper!) and was wondering if its best to remove the old existing fuel pump altogether? Or hopefully just tie into fuel line after old fuel pump and I guess mount on frame rail? Also would it work OK with my FPR?

Any other ideas/suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks Guys

Len

Your FPR will have no problems with the bigger pump. I would also remove the stock pump and put the MSD in it's place - the stock pump may be limited flow-wise, and could become a restriction.

I cannot take credit for the source of the MSD pump, Shane posted that originally. I am getting a Porsche pump for my setup currently, as I have no flow data on the MSD for 70 psi - it seems to be only rated at around 40 psi. Since I may touch upwards of 65 psi fuel pressure, I don't feel like taking chances, hence the HIGH pressure Porsche pump (shutoff pressure is rediculous, something like 150 psi). I would think the MSD will work fine for boost pressures up to 16 psi with a 35 psi base (50 psi).

Hmmmmm

I'm running stock z FPR psi of 38psi. If I say go max of 16 to 18psi boost. That's 56psi. Or if I decided moderatly push my injectors and increase base pressure to 40 or 43psi then that would mean I would need fuel pressure support of around 61psi. I need to really do some checking also. Can't afford to do this twice!

I may never need 61psi fuel pressure but hey as we all know times change.

By the way how do you plan on obtaining your Porsche pump? Salvage yard? Approx. price?

Thanks

Len

I got a good deal off eBay for a new Bosch pump - the auction expired with no bids, and the fellow let me have it for the opening bid price. It was $160. The same pump came in 77-79 Porsche 911 (and 930 front) . Some 944 turbos and 928s may have the same pump too. They have the high pressure CIS injection system. That same pump came in similar vintage 280 and 450 series Mercedes as well. The Bosch number is 0 580 254 984. Brand new they are $230, best price I could find otherwise. The fuel delivery is almost as constant as you could wish for, at 60 gallons/hour around 60-70 psi.

You did good!

I think I'll do my homework; contact MSD see what max press rating is. Also watch E-bay.

Thanks for the part #. I may even check out some salvage yards around here, who knows.

Guest jt240z

Let us know what MSD says is the max psi. If they have flow curves, that would be even better.

Have you considered the Walbro external 255L/Hr high pressure pump (P/N GSL-392)? I picked mine up for about $140.00 and it installs just like the stock pump.

Here is a link to the web site:

http://www.autoperformanceengineering.com/

Look under extern fuel pumps. You will have to buy the inlet and out fittings separate, but they sell those too.

Walbro GSL392 - Excellent pump for just about any L28ET on this forum. Do not get caught up in a manufacturer's advertised flow rate unless you know at what pressure and voltage and be especially concerned about flow dropoff at 60psi and above.

Here is an example of what you need to know.

http://www.gnttype.org/techarea/fuelsystem/walbroflow.html

Look at the GSL392 and you will see at 65psi it flows 49gph @ 12V and 59gph @ 13.5V. The stock pump wire is probably 16-gauge (if that) and long and probably corroded. Most Zs are lucky if they see 11V at the pump. If you use a BSFC of .55 lbs of fuel per HP, you can see even running higher fuel pressure is safe with this pump.

Make sure when you order this you also ask for the fittings you need. The thread is metric and sometimes difficult to find locally.

Walbro ext. 255 L/Hr. High press. GSL-392

Sure looks like the best bang for the buck! That's the way I'll go! Will buy fittings at time of purchase.

Although I don't have a clue on what my Hp is. I do know driving down the road with my radio on. My car has gotta be the fastest coolest car around!!! :D

Due to that fact before I buy I plan to rewire fuel pump with at least 12 gauge and see what happens. In that way I could possibly increase boost a bit more without starving engine of fuel using my old pump. I guess I would like to push the most boost using my 370's. If fuel pump can't support the 370's then GSL-392 here we come. I would want to rewire anyway to push the amps and max. the volts to the new GSL-392 when I do buy it.

Hey thanks alot for all the input guys! You pointed me in the right direction.

Len