HybridZ

240 or 260 strut housing on 280?

I was wondering if 240 or 260 strut housing with coilovers on a 78 280z give me more suspension travel. Or is my only choice to shorten my original strut housings and go wit some other type of inserts?

If yes, then which years should i get the strut housing from?

Guest billyzbear

This is only from memory. rear:70-72 are about the same but a little shorter and thinner than 280. 73-74 are thinner and longer than early 240. front: I think are all the same but not sure. You could look at the part numbers for the different years to check.

I do know the 280 rear spindle is the stronger that early 240. When I changed from a 71 rear suspension to 280 the spring perch was about 2 inches lower and had to cut the top of strut tube to get strut travel.

• 3 months later...

there would be no advantage to going to a 240/260z strut if you already have a 280 strut. like auxilary said all you need to do is swap the strut isolators from a 240/260 over to your 280. one of the advantages to coilovers is the ability to adjust ride height easily by adjusting the spring perch. if you get longer springs with your kit you can always lower the perch and get the car to the height you want.