HybridZ

problems with my new Z

Guest Spider

Guest Spider

I bought a new Z today...it had a problem that turned into a MAJOR problem later on. Engine runs sweet except for every so often when i put my foot to the floor the engine heaves big time. Acceleration to 0 REALLY fast. Like maybe my fuel/oxygen mixture is extremely wrong. This only happens when i get my foot further than 1/4 of the way to the floor. Any ideas??? High RPM manages to push through it but its hard to even get the rpms high...it feels like its choking big time.

Its a 1982 280zx. I would really like to get this fixed.

thanx

Im sorry for being so short. To me it seems like that *might* be the problem being it happens after a certain amount of pedal. First, unplug it. then drive it. If it drives better with it off, then you might need a new one, or you can open it up and clean the connections.

good luck.

Look at the throttle body on the intake (where the air goes in). The TPS is on the opposite side (closes to the fender side) of the accelerator linkage. It looks like a little square box held on with two screws on the sides and a plug coming off the top (looks like an injector connector).

Hope that helps.

Tim

Guest livewire23

on my TPS the plug comes off the bottom. take the cover off and make sure that the TPS connects with one sensor at 0 throttle, and then switches to the other at part throttle. I believe a third one connects at full throttle but im not sure.