HybridZ

Crinkle finish engine bay?

HICKL

I know this was been discussed, but I can't find the thread. I am prepping engine bay for paint before I drop in the 350. I have removed all the unwanted brackets etc. I don't have the time or the energy to make the fender wells perfect so I am considering options. I have seen a post were a guy did a "crinkle finish" engine bay. Short of rattle can, how can this be done properly. I want to match my body color so can I put down the texture then cover with enamel or urethane or somethin to match my base clear body?

Guest greimann

True crinkle finish needs a mild heat source to wrinkle properly which is kind of hard to do over an entire engine bay. If you are set on a textured finish, look into SEM Texture Coating that is available in quarts at auto paint supply places. You can vary the texture size by altering the air and fluid pressure at the gun. Otherwise, I am fan of SEM Trim Black as an engine bay paint. It is semigloss and has a nice OEM appearance.

yes it will resist heat. you can get it colored or you can paint over it with your exterior color. the only problem with it would be weight. if you were to get it applied at around 1/16" to 1/8" you should be fine. added benifits would be the sound deadening and insulation.

Guest greimann

SEM Trim Black is available in rattle can or quarts. It is laquer based and is self etching so no primer is required. These products are vastly superior to ordinary hardware spray paint because of their durability in automotive exterior applications. You can only find them at auto paint supply houses. The most important thing is the color and gloss level is just right for automotive applications. It looks right, not too flat, not too glossy.

Here is their web page:

http://www.semproducts.com/sempages/semtrimpaint.html

"please use splatter paint"? What are you trying to tell me FL327? Please expand on your post. RacerX, that stuff does look kinda interesting. I will read up on it when I get a chance.

Thanks

Jeff

vht makes both red and black wrinckle paint in spray bomb. summit carries both. Im doing my engine bay in black and the valve covers, and engine parts in red, Im going for the ferreri(sp) look. I painted the valve covers for my pickup with black and they turned out nice. I think the paint cosys $7 a can

"please use splatter paint"? What are you trying to tell me FL327?

I think he means the stuff Eastwood sells: "Original Spatter-Color Trunk Paint" it looks good and would do well for an engine bay too. But, you have to cover it with clear.

Davy